All magic is cursed…what types of mechanics make sense at the table?

Here are a few ideas:

Grim Tales is a d20 modern game and, to get magic you need to find 'spells'. If I remember correctly, spells work the same way except for a couple of things:
1. You can cast an unlimited amount of times;
2. when you cast a spell, you roll a d6 for each level of the spell and then take that much CON damage.

You can get better by taking a feat which changes it to STR damage. (so you get weaker instead of dying).
Then you take another feat which allows your spellcasting stat bonus to work as hardness on each die.
- example. I cast a 3rd level spell. I roll 3d6 STR damage. If my INT is 18, I reduce the damage by 4 for each die.

You wouldn't have to use those rules exactly but you could riff off them. Maybe the damage is just tracked and when it reaches 0, you gain some kind of permanent negative consequence. Like disfigurement, or a penalty to interacting with animals. Maybe milk curdles when the spellcaster is around.

As another idea to have some kind of "fallout" when you cast the spell. The more powerful the spell, the more obvious/dangerous the fallout is. EIther create a table or have each spell have it's own unique effect (that's a lot of work, obviously)

Dresden Files had something called "fallout". Essentially, if you failed to cast the spell, you could choose to suck up some of your failure. If you failed by 3, you could suck up those 3 points and take 3 damage or you could let those 3 shifts go into the environment and cause havoc. In FATE, it would put an aspect on the scene. In a game like D&D, you could just narrate something. Like, casting a fireball would cause things to set fire or superheat water in the area and cause a fog cloud. You just discuss it with the player and find something cool (but slightly inconvenient.) The bigger margin of failure, the bigger the effect.

For a D&D-type game, the caster could make a saving throw vs each spell they cast - or a skill check. The spell always succeeds but your control of it could vary. (just brainstorming here). But fallout could definitely give you a Dark Sun effect or the player could suck up damage.

Last idea:
Maybe the curse is attached to power. Build in some powers and drawbacks and, as the player levels in a spellcasting class, they gain those powers and drawbacks. Each level it is built into the class or, maybe, at each level they roll on a table. Maybe they gain the ability to shoot lasers out of their eyes but they are blind for an hour after they do it. Weird stuff like that.

dm_fromscratch

Explorer
Can you explain this a bit more?
So for example instead of using Inspiration to gain advantage on a roll (D&D 5e), you could use it to deflect a cursed effect aimed at you and maybe make a spell attack to send it at an enemy instead, or you might take on a cursed effect yourself that would otherwise be inflicted on an ally.

With Benefits (or Bennies) in Savage World which are already spent to gain a variety of heroic bonuses during play, redirecting a curse effect would be one more available type of use.

In Level Up A5E there are Inspiration Features based on your Destiny and maybe I would add “Redirect Curse” as an additional Inspiration Feature for all Destinies.

dm_fromscratch

Explorer
1. You can cast an unlimited amount of times;
2. when you cast a spell, you roll a d6 for each level of the spell and then take that much CON damage.
This trade off idea is neat. Though taking feats to mitigate might feel like too heavy a tax.
Maybe the damage is just tracked and when it reaches 0, you gain some kind of permanent negative consequence.
Hmm, gold skin, an incurable cough, and hourglass eyes that see death and decay of all living things? Nah, would never work…
If you failed by 3, you could suck up those 3 points and take 3 damage or you could let those 3 shifts go into the environment and cause havoc.
I like that this is a choice, one where heroes would often choose the damage and villains would often choose the chaos. Might be interesting if it was something that occasionally happened for successes as well. Like if you succeeded by exactly 1 or something.

I like that this is a choice, one where heroes would often choose the damage and villains would often choose the chaos. Might be interesting if it was something that occasionally happened for successes as well. Like if you succeeded by exactly 1 or something.
I forgot to mention that, if you chose environmental havoc, the power of the spell is reduced by an equal amount. But if you choose damage, the spell is still at full power. So, often, you take damage to make sure your spell goes off by powering it with your life force. And you can take physical or mental damage. So that fire spell can burn you or drive you insane.

Not sure how you’d represent that in a d20 type game though. Once again, it could do stat damage instead of hp damage. Maybe your choice is to take 1 point of Wisdom damage or a dice pool of hp damage. Or let it fallout. It would also be more difficult to power down D&D spells since they don’t always have numerical modifiers.

Faolyn

(she/her)
power-gamer enters the chat

Why would you nerf the party nerd? Traditionally casters can't go ham in combat and tend to be glass cannons. Now the cannon explodes when it fires? Seems to slap "fun" in the face, right?
Because, for some games and some settings, it doesn't fit to have casters who can do almost anything with little risk.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
In my home game, just like the post title says, all magic is cursed. I’ve homebrewed a few options for representing this setting-wide curse on magic, with varying successes and lessons learned (some of which I include below and detail further in the spoiler text), but I want to hear from the community on what would make sense at your table.

The biggest wins and challenges I’ve run into so far:

Win: Players enjoy the idea of the setting.
It’s not a unique concept (see ABC’s Once Upon a Time tv series for just one of many takes on the “all magic comes with a price” theme), but it is a powerful force in helping players consider their choices for character creation, roleplay and actions, and generally how they approach and interact with the game world.

Challenge: Maintaining a balance between how the curse impacts casters vs non-casters is tricky.
Introducing a curse that affects all magic might easily make playing a caster less fun if every cool thing you can do automatically comes with a downside. At lower levels, this is skewed harder against casters since martials don’t typically have easy access to magic items at lower levels. IMO this helps reinforce the theme, but at the same time, the negative consequences are also quite harmless at lower levels. However, the greater the magic, the greater the curse’s effects. In this way, by the time casters are really taking big risks, so are martials at higher risk with greater access to (and perhaps even a perceived reliance on) magic weapons, ammunition, armor, and other enchanted items etc. Not sure if this offsets the negatives of casting cursed magic, so this balance is something I am often revisiting to see if players are all still having a good time regardless of whether they’ve chosen a magic or martial class.

Challenge: How often does the curse immediately impact a specific instance of magic use?
This is probably the biggest one in my opinion. How to keep the curse a constant threat and reminder without it becoming a burdensome task either for the players to track or the GM to implement. Combat in turn -based TTRPG can already be quite time-consuming without adding extra elements to remember or introduce on the fly.

Lessons: I started with a simple meta-mechanic called the cursed numbers of the day.
Each session, up to 3 randomly chosen numbers are cursed. Whenever dice are rolled in conjunction with the use of magic, and a die lands on a cursed number, then the intended magical effect is accompanied by another, unintended negative magical effect, typically one that harms the magic user.

A few design intentions here.
  1. Its occurrence is randomized. A party might have several encounters or interactions where no negative effects occur at all, possibly an entire session. Or the party might experience several cursed effects in a row. It ostensibly creates tension with every use of magic since you never know when the curse might hit next.
  2. It’s an extra step at the beginning of a session, but in theory doesn’t bog down active play since there aren’t extra dice to roll. It’s just a response to dice that would have been rolled anyway.
Playtest feedback
  • Cursed numbers of the day are a fun novelty to introduce and include, and the randomness can indeed create tension and complications for both ally and enemy alike. However, in practice, it can be tough to maintain that sense of novelty over time, and even if play isn’t bogged down by extra rolls, random negative effects every session can become tiresome for players to constantly have to deal with and/or for GM’s to constantly invent and manage on the fly.
I’ve tweaked this mechanic here and there and I feel it works best if
  1. there’s at least some dialogue between player and GM as to what the cursed effect is, with the understanding that the GM has the final adjudication
  2. it’s not the only manifestation of the curse, i.e. there are other cursed magic things at work in the world, some much larger and potentially more dangerous in scope (a broken portal that only transports in one direction), others more mundane (magical storms that defy the natural seasons, but only for a few minutes or hours)
(TL;DR It works best when paired with good player-GM communication and alongside a variety of other manifestations of the curse at work in the world.)

Thoughts? Or examples of curses you’ve used or seen before?
I have bad eyes so it was probably missed but what rpg system are you using for this?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is one game I can think of that has something very much along these lines - EN World alumnus Kevin Kulp's Swords of the Serpentine.

dm_fromscratch

Explorer
I have bad eyes so it was probably missed but what rpg system are you using for this?
Don’t worry, you didn’t miss it :) I didn’t mention it as this is the general TTRPG forum and I was looking for ideas outside the box. But to answer the question, I’m currently using Level Up (A5E). However, I’m also considering what the setting might look like in various different game systems in the event I run some games in other systems using the same or similar setting.

dm_fromscratch

Explorer
Swords of the Serpentine uses Corruption with its spellcasting.

There is one game I can think of that has something very much along these lines - EN World alumnus Kevin Kulp's Swords of the Serpentine.

Jinx!! And thx, seems I should check it out. Just got the QuickStart FreeRPGDay download.

Remove ads