• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ALL THE BRICKS - OOC

TillForPie

First Post
As a heads-up: Each car is capable of operating independently from the others. They all have their own engines. So if you uncoupled two cars they would continue to match speed and course with each other (and therefore not separate at all) until you started applying speed/course differences to them. What I'm getting at is that you could technically have the car you're in drive alone through the tunnels.

TillForPie

First Post
While a frag grenade would kill everyone in a subway car it would have remarkably little effect on the car itself. So you guys could do this: Faust kills the entire team of runners and you all make new characters. But first we continue to calculate where the empty car goes. Maybe the car enters the world of shadowrunning. Maybe it can be one of your guys' next character.

Shayuri

First Post
Im not sure how moral we are trting to be but isnt there a train chasing us? If we disengage wouldnt it collide and idk kill all the innocent people? Lol

This is part of the plan. Well, okay, the ORIGINAL plan was to cut the LAST car only, and slam its emergency brakes on, thus solving two problems with the same action.

NOW the plan is to cut everything off behind us, and have it slow down more gradually. This will avert a giant crash, but should still prove an impediment to the pursuing train.

I didn't know each car had its own engine though. That complicates things a tiny bit, but the plan should still be viable.

Anyway, post made. After some reviewing, I decided it was best to secure the Matrix and take advantage of the preparations made. If the spider shows up and sees a technomancer and a sprite, the technomancer is a tempting target... If he shows up and a sprite IMMEDIATELY jumps on him, he's more likely to go into survival mode and battle that sprite, letting me quietly do my thing in the meantime.

Otherwise he could easily stick me with an injury penalty and possibly link lock me, which would be an incredibly bad thing.

Hold a little longer. Cavalry's coming.

Last edited:

TillForPie

First Post
I didn't know each car had its own engine though.

Yup! Just like today's New York subway cars. They're different models in 2078 of course, but they still have that feature. A car dedicated to pulling the rest of the train would be too wasteful of space so instead there's distributed power beneath the floors of each car.

Edit: In any case, note that the speed controls are a single system (rather than individual devices) so you could give slightly more complicated orders involving multiple cars. "Have cars 4-6 slow down!" Or, rather than having them change speeds you could use the track selection system to put them on different routes - that wouldn't have an impact until the train hit a junction (there's one after each of the upcoming stops as described at the start of the scene). Lots of options, including potentially a lot that I haven't even thought of.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm! Well that has potential. Instead of just turning the brakes on, I can actually make the cars in this train FIGHT the cars in the pursuing train. Though that might require more time than I have in the host.

Though, once the suppression ends, I can still leave instructions for Crack Horror to carry out. Sprites are truly the gift that go on giving. :)

TillForPie

First Post
Yeah, changes will take a while to have an effect in meatspace just by the nature of how little time is actually passing in combat. That entire first round only took three seconds, during which the train only traveled about 159 meters.

TillForPie

First Post
No, Rubberneck, you will not be going again before balaclava. Your initiative won't drop until the end of the pass and you've already taken your turn this pass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads