All The Different Types of Dragons

sledged

First Post
Great thread. About time for a small update: the arcane dragons in Dragon #343.

Hex Dragon
Tome Dragon

Also, can anyone give sources for other versions/editions/reprintings of these dragons, not just the latest edition? For instance, the adamantine dragon was in 2nd Edition in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix.

BOZ said:
i could have sworn there were other Dark Sun true dragons as well...

Not really a true dragon, but there was, Borys, the dragon of Tyr. Aside from age categories, I think he got all the goodies true dragons had (breath weapon, tail slap, etc.) with both spells and psionics. I think he's worth an honorable mention.

Shade

Monster Junkie
This whole thread is about due for "the Echohawk treatment" (our resident indexer extroradinare).

The second part of your sig had me laughing out loud. :lol:

sledged

First Post
Shade said:
The second part of your sig had me laughing out loud. :lol:
Happy to amuse.

A couple more things.

There's two Monstrous Compendium Spelljammer Appendices (2109 MC7 and 2119 MC9). The moon, stellar, and sun dragons are in the second appendix (2119 MC9). Took me a while to figure this one out, because neither appendix is listed as "Appendix I" nor "Appendix II" on the cover.

Also, it might be good to list the song dragon as "song dragon/weredragon" so no one will point out again that the weredragon should be listed.

sledged

First Post
It's quite interesting what I found when I started looking for dragons. Just like there's two kinds of jade dragons and two kinds of radiant dragons. There's good number more dragon kinds with the same name. I've made a list of all the ones I could find including the ones that were already identified as being different kinds:

Amber/Brown Dragon—Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Three (as amber), Dragon #038 (as brown)
Amber/Brown/Tiger's Eye Dragon—Rules Cyclopedia
Brown Dragon—Monsters of Faerûn + Player's Guide to Faerûn web enhancement
Aquatic Dragon—Dragon #134
Aquatic Dragon (II)—Dangerous Denizens
Crystal Dragon—3rd edition Monster Manual II + Update Booklet
Crystal/Crystalline Dragon—Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix (as crystalline), Rules Cyclopedia (as crystal)
Jade Dragon—Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix
Jade Dragon (Neutral)—Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume One
Lung Wang (Sea Dragon)—3rd edition Oriental Adventures
Sea Dragon—Monstrous Compendium Dragonlance Appendix
Obsidian Dragon—Dragon #146
Obsidian Dragon (Renegade Gem)—"Mind's Eye" article 2003-01-24
Orange Dragon—Dragon #038
Orange (Sodium) Dragon—Dragon Compendium Volume 1
Prismatic Dragon—Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Four
Prismatic Dragon (Epic)—Epic Level Handbook + Update Booklet
Radiant Dragon—3rd edition Draconomicon
Radiant (Celestial) Dragon—Adventures in Space
T'ien Lung (Celestial Dragon)—3rd edition Oriental Adventures
Sand Dragon—Dragon #134
Sand Dragon (II)—Sandstorm
Saphire Dragon—Rules Cyclopedia
Saphire Dragon (Gem)—3rd edition Monster Manual II + Update Booklet
Yellow Dragon—Dragon #038
Yellow Dragon (II)—Monstrous Manual
Yellow (Salt) Dragon—Dragon Compendium Volume 1

I also found some more dragons to add to the list:

Rainbow Dragon—Dragon #146, same as the epic prismatic?
Gray Dragon—Dragon #146, not to be confused with Rahab the unique grey dragon in Dragon #062
Stone Dragon—Dragon #146

RavinRay

Explorer
sledged said:
Also, can anyone give sources for other versions/editions/reprintings of these dragons, not just the latest edition? For instance, the adamantine dragon was in 2nd Edition in the Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes Appendix.
I rely on the World of Sulerin's Monstrous Master Index for a comprehensive cross-edition list of creatures. I did a search for "dragon" in the type field, and the results can be sorted by name or source; very handy.

sledged

First Post
RavinRay said:
I rely on the World of Sulerin's Monstrous Master Index for a comprehensive cross-edition list of creatures. I did a search for "dragon" in the type field, and the results can be sorted by name or source; very handy.
I ran across that site, and it's quite nice. However, a few of the references are incorrect, and some are missing. Among the ones I noticed were the dragons that were listed as being in Dragon #128. They're actually in Dragon #134. And it doesn't list that Bahamut and Tiamat are in the 3e Manual of the Planes (updated to 3.5 in the update booklet), the 3e Deities and Demigods, and the 2e Draconomicon.

Remove ads