All the Different Types of Fey

Garnfellow

Explorer
I know of at least one...the jaebrin in MMV.
Thanks, guys -- this is interesting. I've looked at MM I-IV plus the FF and couldn't find an exception.

Where am I going with this? I'm working on a 3.5e conversion of another WD monster: the svart.

The svart was ripped straight from the fantasy novel The Weirdstone of Brisingamen; it was renamed the xvart for inclusion in the 1e Fiend Folio, doubtless for legal reasons. Other than the name, they are essentially the same monster.

I've always wanted to like the poor xvart, and have used them in the past. But as written they are just too danged much like all the other little humanoids. So I decided to try a re-envisioning rather than a conversion. I went back to the original WD writeup and from there back to the Weirdstone itself.

This led me to try converting the svart as a fey, rather than a humanoid. This one little change opens up a lot of new mechanical and flavor distinction for the svart. But damage reduction doesn't quite fit either with its game history or its depiction in the Weirdstone.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think you're safe to leave off the DR for the svart. It seems to be more of an implied ability than a guideline.

Garnfellow

Explorer
As always, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with DR 1/cold iron, to keep the svart distinctive from kobolds and goblins but not too much so. And besides, I don't think I've seen many monsters with DR 1/anything. Why should barbarians have all the fun?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
As always, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going with DR 1/cold iron, to keep the svart distinctive from kobolds and goblins but not too much so. And besides, I don't think I've seen many monsters with DR 1/anything. Why should barbarians have all the fun?
True enough! I think a manes from FC1 might have DR 1, but I'd have to check...

Remove ads