• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Allow the Long Rest Recharge to Honor Skilled Play or Disallow it to Ensure a Memorable Story

Allow Long Rest for Skilled Play or disallow for Climactic/Memorable Story

They don’t always. But they absolutely may.

An example being a showdown with a main villain. He’s been built up as a primary antagonist, he’s been shown to be capable and cruel and scary. The PCs scry and plan well and manage to catch him alone.

Due to action economy, this guy can‘t take on the whole party and hope to win. Do you let the PCs beat the snot out of him in what may be an anticlimactic way? Or do you fudge his resources a bit and allow him to somehow get some help in the fight (reinforcements, a random group of his underlings arriving, summoning, etc.) so that this moment that’s been built up goes more as expected?

Which is more important to the GM: game or story?
I would say: in a well-designed scenario, with a skilled dm who knows their stuff: they shouldn't. A clash of these things is a minor fail-state, something to be avoided. (Like fudging rolls: you should if you must, but if you must, it's because you messed up somewhere earlier.)

But the underlying question can't be answered by "it shouldn't come up" - no dm is perfect, and so there will be times where you have to chose: fidelity to rules or story?

(My own opinion is: if you're answer is story, DnD isn't the right system for you. But that's just another opinion.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's no accounting for the game, that's where we're at. All the planning in the world can't fix players, who do all manner of unexpected things on a distressingly regular basis.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
* The Storyteller imperative is at tension with whether the Long Rest will occur. Its invariably (or at least almost assuredly) going to lead to unrewarding, anticlimax if it occurs.

...The Storyteller Imperative requires the Long Rest Recharge must be disabled.

The "Storyteller Imperative" (Capitalized? Really?) requires the final story be memorable and interesting. It doesn't care much how it happens.

There is NO OTHER WAY to make the climax rewarding? Really, none? Your entire GM toolbox has absolutely nothing? There's no other technique, or set of techniques, that can be used to make the final conflict interesting?

I take this to be one of those hypotheticals that we use to try to make points, but have little relevance to actual play.

In other words, I don't believe in your constructed Kobyashi Maru, no-win, must sacrifice one or the other priority scenario.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Here's something to ponder: If the players decide to long rest before going into the "final battle," and they know it's around the corner, who is at fault if it is anticlimactic? The DM for not intervening and not allowing a rest? The players for choosing to rest in the first place? Both? Neither?
Well, players at my table would be working with imperfect knowledge - perhaps they think it will be a TPK if they don't long rest. Given that, I can't see how a "fault" lays on the player's side. But I know we have different tables expectations when it comes to incorporating metagame knowledge so i don't know if that's a useful answer for you, sorry.

If you don't mind me getting inspired by the direction of your thoughts, I'd like to tweak it a little to add a "third solution" that perhaps we should be considering. How does this play out if the DM simply says to the players, as one hobbiest to another, "I think this will be more fun if you push on".

I think I'd take that advice. Though I would be salty if we then died. :)

The "Storyteller Imperative" (Capitalized? Really?) requires the final story be memorable and interesting. It doesn't care much how it happens.

There is NO OTHER WAY to make the climax rewarding? Really, none? Your entire GM toolbox has absolutely nothing? There's no other technique, or set of techniques, that can be used to make the final conflict interesting?

I take this to be one of those hypotheticals that we use to try to make points, but have little relevance to actual play.

In other words, I don't believe in your constructed Kobyashi Maru, no-win, must sacrifice one or the other priority scenario.

In all of your D&D game running. In all of your forum moderating. In all of your forum engaging.

You mean to tell me.

That you have never seen.

A recharge of Daily resources lead to anticlimax of a dungeon or a final encounter?

Is that what you're saying? This is the first time you've ever seen this. Ever heard of this?

No Umbran. Just no. I do not accept that. Because I fundamentally know that it isn't true. I've engaged with dozens and dozens of threads with you in them where this very subject has been discussed and beaten to death ad nausem. So you can keep your incredulity and you can keep your framing of my innocuous question as me "constructing a Kobyashi Maru"; the sort of bad faith interpretation of my efforts here that might get you moderated if you weren't a moderator yourself.

I am not buying what you're selling.

@Manbearcat I think the example is getting in the way here. People have too much baggage bound up in terms of how they handle long rests and whether or not they can be “earned” and what “story” even means in a D&D context, let alone what makes one good. All you’re likely to end up with is bickering over definitions and trying to re-contextualize the example. If what you want to know is if people prioritize honoring the results of skilled play or preserving a particular intended narrative structure, that’s what you should ask. No clarifications or examples or context. Such things just give us pedants something to pick apart instead of answering the actual question.

For my part, I prioritize skilled play when those two things come into conflict.

Let me say a few things on this:

1) I appreciate your clarity.

2) I accept no responsibility for what others continuously smuggle into conversations (despite my best attempts to disarm this borderline inevitable smuggling + reorienting/reframing the conversation that happens in these situations in particular). Everyone who does the smuggling and does the reorienting needs to take responsibility for their own work here.

3) You (and by "you", I mean "a person") could sub out recharge (Long Rest in this case) and sub in any number of other favorable gamestates (which can be anything from favorable framing of a follow-on conflict to gaining an asset). Perhaps you've:

• won an audience with the king
  • won the favor of the king
  • won access to the portal
  • won the activation of the portal
  • won a combat
  • won the arrival at the location you're seeking (via a journey or a teleport or whatever).

This happens_in_D&D constantly. Its not clear to me in the slightest why "won" is better or worse than "reaped" is better or worse than "earned" or whatever verb one wants to apply to it.

This happens in D&D. We all know it does. Haggling over these stupid verbs seems to be what we ("we" here meaning the ENWorld userbase) do best though, so I guess we should keep doing what we do best!

4) Why would I use Long Rest (which yields a favorable framing of a follow-on conflict - Team PC now has all their resources) vs any of the other ones in (3) above (which, again, each of those should be plenty sufficient to convey the point)?

Because the game's sensitivity to the Long Rest recharge was intentionally designed into the game. The designers made this decision (and I pushed back hard at this precisely because how sensitive the game would be, with classes having asymmetric resource suites + the apex potency of a class like a Wizard balanced around the big guns of limited-use "Dailies" being able to go nova on a refresh and short Adventuring Day, to the Long Rest Refresh). We're all aware of it. Its been discussed to death. So this being such a massive fault line (on one side you've got a group that is resource-ablated and has a tough fight...on the other side you have full resource refresh and a complete anticlimax), it has to be the most stark example of the paradigm I'm trying to convey in the lead post (acquiring audience with a king doesn't have the same heft as a Long Rest recharge before a climactic encounter).

5) Its unclear to me why people can't talk about D&D as a game. That is all I was trying to do here. Find out how ENWorld GM's broadly (via a poll) prioritizes the two most pivotal imperatives of 5e (Skilled Play vs the "Tell a Memorable Story" Imperative). You're playing a game. You have a Long Rest that should trigger. But it will damage something else (the likelihood that the rest of the dungeon or the climactic encounter leads to unfilfilling, therefore not memorable, anticlimax). Do you let it trigger or do you initiate a block? I mean I guess we got there as people voted. But jesus, this is too much haggling. Its a really simple question.

Yes, a simple 886-word question. I don't get why people are struggling with this either.

Filled with "Forge Waffle", right?

Where absolutely none of it is and you're basically jumping at Forge phantoms? I get it. You don't like the Forge. Its clear. You've said it aggressively, implied it passive-aggressively ever since you and I started interacting. Can we turn the page? If you don't like the way I post...just don't engage with it. You don't have to interact with me.

But there is no Forge Waffle here. I've been an athlete and martial artist my whole life. Its not jargon to talk about skill. That is most common parlance possible in virtually any endeavor in the world where skill is a necessity (from athletics, to martial arts, to boardgames, to card games, to TTRPGing, to weaving, etc etc etc). And when we play TTRPGs...what do we do? We "play." So when we try to beat dungeons or monsters or whatever we try to do it skillfully.

Storyteller is all 5e parlance (which is invoked constantly and not by me...because its right there in the rulebook). Imperative is just "you have to do this thing."

I'm a guy talking about D&D. DO GUD PLAY THAT MAKES GUD STUFF HAPPEN FOR US vs BUT WE HAVE TO HAVE GUD STORY MMKAY? There no Skilled Play. No Storyteller Imperative.

Hopefully that was more clear and "Forge Waffle Free" enough for you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads