• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate FR campaign idea

First Post
Here is the concept:

The time of troubles did not end. The gods were never restored to power and the god Ao never revealed himself.

What changes do you think would result from this pivotal change if FR history?

My ideas so far:

Mystra is dead, the weave is tattered and torn.. spellcasters lost all magical power (other than spellfire), this leads to a new form of magic (WOT channeling).

Technology becomes much more advanced during the time without magic. When magic relearned it becomes integrated into technology (gnomish tinkerer/Dragonstar style).

Elder magic(traditional spellcasters) is largely lost over time, but not entirely. Tattered mages (prestige class) still wields spells of elder magic (traditional spells).

History remains largely similar to the standard campaign, but different people may be credited for certain events?

Elimenster is gone! (or at least in hidding?)

The illusion cast over Sulune is gone, so the people of Toril can now visibly see that the moon is inhabitable. This is a major motivation for them to develop magic/technology to explore the moon (and eventually other planets).

Summary of my changes: FR campaign, (-) dieties/clerics/wizards/clerics/sorcerers, (+) WOT channelers/Dragonstar equipment, (+) custom presitige class for using traditional spells as if they were WOT weaves (only DM approved spells)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
I do not consider myself an expert in Toril history so If you see any snags in my logic or and new possibilities please post them.

First Post
Dragonstar

I also plan to integrate the Dragonstar campaign.

The Weave of magic that most spellcasters in the Multiverse use to fuel their spells is torn and broken throughout the Toril system.

The scientists of the dragon empire are extreamly interested in how citizens of Toril cast magic expecialy since the broken weave around Toril seems to be expanding.

First Post
MAGIC

Here is how I imagine the magic system working..

All spellcasters are initialy converted to WOT Initiates/Wilders. The traditional disdinctions between Cleric/Wizard/Druid/Wu Jen/Sorcerer/Bard/etc.. magic are gone. Everyone casts spells using the same mechanic. They do however retain the roleplaying aspects of those classes. Clerics train Clerics, not wizards.. Initial spell selection determines the type of training that the character has had. Clerics would normaly start learning Healing spells and Wizards would start learning Elemental spells. Clerics jelously guard knowledge of Healing spells for themselves, just as Wizards hoard knowledge of the Elemental spells. If you want to learn those spells, you will need to train with members of the order.

The chart below is an example of what Initial tallents are available based on your starting character afiliation.

Previous Class ---- New Class ------- Talent
Bard ---------------- Initiate ------------ Illusion, Traveling
Cleric --------------- Initiate ------------ Healing, Warding
Druid --------------- Initiate ------------ Cloud Dancing, Earth Singing
Paladin ------------- Initiate/Wilder --- NONE*
Ranger ------------- Initiate/Wilder --- NONE*
Sorcerer ----------- Wilder ------------- ANY
Wizard ------------- Initiate ------------ Conjuration, Elementalism

*NONE = the character must gain admittance into a magical organization (initiate) or develop their own powers (wilder)

Changes to the Wilder/Channeler:
Taint is gone so: no madness & Males do NOT recieve bonus weaves (they still get the standard attribute bonus).

Prestige classes:
You can NOT overchannel to meet the prerequisites for a prestige class.
Spellcraft skill prerequisites are replaced with weavesight.

Other changes may or may not be made (determination based on playtesting):
Overchaneling may be removed or modified (possibley requiring special feat(s))
prestige class(s) may be removed or modified.
Traditional spells(phb,t&b, etc) will be added/removed/modified on a cast by case basis. (example: enlarge, reduce, righteous might could be grouped into a single weave called Scale.)

thats' all I can write for now, since I need to get back to work & do my reading for school.

futer topics include shadow magic & spellfire.

First Post
more MAGIC

Use the Wheel of time caster classes & casting method. Drop the Taint, Drop the Male/Female sources - New source is the "Broken Weave", drop the bonus weaves for males.

Wilders represent people with innate magical skill.
Initiate represents people that have been trained in magical skill.

Most spellcasters start as Wilder and gain Initiate later.

The weave sight ability has additional uses:
--Detect Magic (as PHB spell) DC=10

Linking: as WOT, but drop the Male/Female ratio requirements

SPELLFIRE
Spellfire wielders no longer need to spend a round to gather energy for their spells.

Spellfire can be used to fuel any castable weave (1=1 ratio).

Spellfire can now be learned at any level (not just 1st, but requires a teacher with the feat).

ELVEN HIGH MAGIC
identical to "joining" but takes longer. (add roughly 1 hour per member) There is no "leader" so all members can cast simaltaneously, but only using the same spell. Any metamagic feat possesed by any member of the group can be applied to the spell(s).

Davelozzi

Explorer
Interesting stuff. Maybe you'd get more traffic if you put it in plots, or at least put a link to it there. Of course, I could be wrong since I've never been to the plots forum. I'll shut up and go there now.

(in other words...bump)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads