• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Health

Dragongrief

Explorer
Playtest results for those interested.

Test 1
Life = Constitution score + Proficiency
Threshold = Skill (1/2 Hit Die) + Armor modifier

Result: Way too much life. The only character that was in bad condition was one in unarmored melee with cultists that did extra damage against unarmored opponents. (no healing was present in group)

Test 2
Life = Size Based HD (d8 for Medium) + Constitution Modifier + Proficiency
Threshold = Skill (1/2 Hit Die) + Armor modifier

Result: Life seemed much more manageable, but increasing Threshold is significant. Most hits only dealt 1 or 2 Life. (healing available, but not used until the end of the day)

Test 3
Life = Size Based HD (d8 for Medium) + Constitution Modifier + Proficiency
Threshold = Skill (1/2 Hit Die) + Armor modifier*
*Armor changed to mostly small amounts of DR, with small Threshold bonus for more powerful (expensive) armors.

Results: Upcoming

n0nym

Explorer
I've been thinking a lot about an alternative HP system recently, so I'll be following this thread closely. Keep it coming ! :)

Dragongrief

Explorer
Based on how it's worded, I would have it restore Hit Dice - 1 die per level (2 for Necromancy). Fits the theme of stealing their life force to reinvigorate yourself.

Dragongrief

Explorer
Working on a few of the problematic spells - namely the ones whose targetting if soley based off of Hit Points. Let me know what you think of the revision to Color Spray (replace the relavent HP targeting sections with the text below):

*Creatures within a 15 foot cone originating from you must make an Intelligence saving throw if their current Life is 8 or lower, or become Blinded.
At Higher Levels: At 2nd level and above, increase the maximum Life that can be affected by 2 for each level above 1st.

It fits the style of the spell, mainly hitting low HP/Life targets. Having it require a save removes the need for rolling to see how many are affected, and upping the maximum Life lets you target more potent creatures.

Also, does anyone know where I can find the Dazed condition? I'm 98% certain I've seen one for 5e, and it would be very helpful for Sleep and Power Word Stun.

Remove ads