• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Am I insane for wanting to make a dragon a warlock?

suplee215

First Post
I am a new DM and I am wondering if my latest idea for a character twist is jumping the shark/adding too much into it or not. I am preparing for my second session in a week and I just had a crazy idea to make a brass dragon the party met to be a warlock (Hexblade from the UA). Storywise it'll make sense (one of the party is a Hexblade as well, sworn to a dragon slaying suit of armor and I was going to make this dragon sworn to the same one for reasons) and it is unlikely they will fight the dragon again. It is also a Young Dragon so won't be the most powerful thing out there.

In my view warlock is the best class to add to monsters (followed closely by berserker barbarian, because who cares if it gets exhausted when the fight is over? It will probably be dead.): small # of spells, eldritch blast for a ranged attack (a problem for a lot of monsters, but not a dragon) and darkness plus devil's sight is a good deal for a solo monster. Hexblade is good for extra cursing.

Dragons know that if they can live long enough, they will have enough power to take on most problems, and with the famous dragon ego, they probably figure they can weasel or power their way out of any deal they make, so it seems like young dragons would be on the lookout for patrons (many of whom probably think this is a great investment--potentially you could have your hooks in an ancient dragon if you and the dragon live long enough).

Dragon doesn't need Devil's Sight + Darkness combo, because it already has blindsight. Even a simple Darkness spell will suffice for a dragon, which means your dragon could be a sorcerer, warlock, or wizard.

Personally I make all my dragons Dragon Sorcerers for thematic reasons, but warlock should work perfectly fine too. Consider picking up Counterspell--it adds more depth to a conflict with the PCs and forces them to work harder to survive^H^H^H^H^H^H^Htriumph.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
At first I read that as "Am I insane for wanting to make a Dragon Warlock?" and was like "Hell no! Dragon Warlocks yes!"

Do what you want, but how's a Dragon going to hold a components pouch? :p

transtemporal

Explorer
It's only insane if you're DMing and this is your character, and he starts with an artifact, and an ancient dragon mount, and hes actually a god, and whenever the party has a fight, you say "my character ends the fight, because hes secretly a dragon and none of you guys knew!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads