AMA [June 10] Margaret Weis, Author (TSR, Dragonlance, Margaret Weis Productions, Cortex, Firefly RPG, Star of the Guardians)

margaretweis

First Post
Thanks for the reply, and let me say what a genuine treat it is to get to talk to you even if it is only through the written word. Regarding your answer, do you have a ballpark guess as to whether it will be this year or next before we see Heroic? Do you have a setting for it or will it be left in a generic format? Thanks.

My pleasure! Let's say it will be sooner than later.:) Thanks!

margaretweis

First Post
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for providing me with countless hours of reading pleasure. Also thanks for your part in increasing the popularity of fantasy as a genre.

My favourite among your series has always been The Rose of the Prophet. Sadly, it rarely, if ever, seems to get any recognition. What do you think is the reason?

It's a different kind of fantasy. Not your standard dwarves, elves, etc. It did hit the NY Times list when it first came out. It was fun to write! Thanks! Margaret

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thank you so much for doing this, Margaret!

Like many, I loved Raistlin in my teenage years. And, like many kids my age, I got into debates along the lines of "Elminster vs. Raistlin - who would win?" I've grown out of that now; honest!

I've read in the past that you wrote Raistlin to "break the rules" and that he was not supposed to have game stats to reflect his power level at the end. And then there are stats in a few books - Dragonlance Adventures (1E) puts him at 18th level, as I recall. What was yours and Tracy's intention when writing that last Legends book? Is he intended to be Elminster-esque in level? Or was 18th more reflective of how you saw him? Can you talk a little about the decision to cap DL characters at 18th level?

Also, you spoke earlier about having material you cut from the books. Could you give us an idea of what that material was? Did some of that material make it into the later trilogy, the Lost Chronicles? (I somehow only discovered those about a year ago, and devoured them!)

margaretweis

First Post
Thank you so much for doing this, Margaret!

Like many, I loved Raistlin in my teenage years. And, like many kids my age, I got into debates along the lines of "Elminster vs. Raistlin - who would win?" I've grown out of that now; honest!

I've read in the past that you wrote Raistlin to "break the rules" and that he was not supposed to have game stats to reflect his power level at the end. And then there are stats in a few books - Dragonlance Adventures (1E) puts him at 18th level, as I recall. What was yours and Tracy's intention when writing that last Legends book? Is he intended to be Elminster-esque in level? Or was 18th more reflective of how you saw him? Can you talk a little about the decision to cap DL characters at 18th level?

Also, you spoke earlier about having material you cut from the books. Could you give us an idea of what that material was? Did some of that material make it into the later trilogy, the Lost Chronicles? (I somehow only discovered those about a year ago, and devoured them!)

About Raistlin and levels, I was a writer first and a gamer second. I played D&D, to this day, someone has to tell me what dice to roll. We tried to stick to levels at the beginning of the novels, because we thought that would be important to the reader. We found out it wasn't. They didn't care what level Raistlin was, therefore did neither Tracy and I. We were more interested in telling the story.

I kind of remember talk about capping DL at 18th level, but that was all in the game department. Not sure what the reasoning was. The book department didn't get into things like that.

As to what was cut from the novels. We did line-editing on the books, cutting lines to reduce chapters to a certain word count. Which meant that every page of the Chronicles books is missing material. I have actually rewritten the first chapters, adding in the material that was cut. It's not on paper. It's in my heart.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to be here! Margaret

Guang

Explorer
The Death Gate Cycle is among my favorites, and I've re-read it several times over the years. In the interactions between the elves and humans on the world of fire (Prydain, I think, in Elven Star, I think), it seemed obvious to me on my first reading back in high school in the late 80's that the elves were Asian, humans were Black, and, after some searching through book one, that Dwarves were White. I then concluded that this was written as the future of OUR world, which had been destroyed and rebuilt by magic.
So: am I out of my mind or is this close to your intention in that series? If so, could you pls tell me how that became an idea you wanted to use, and why you chose the racial matchup that you did?

Cinderwolf

First Post
Margaret - your "Death Gate Cycle" books were among some of my first fantasy novels (I'll admit I was a little bit of a late bloomer, finding the series when I was 16) and quickly found a place in my heart! Before I forget: Thank you for everything you've written!

Have you ever considered returning to the Death Gate universe at all or is there ever perhaps a chance (no matter how slim) we may ever see the aftermath of the Sartan and Patryn war on screen in the future?

margaretweis

First Post
The Death Gate Cycle is among my favorites, and I've re-read it several times over the years. In the interactions between the elves and humans on the world of fire (Prydain, I think, in Elven Star, I think), it seemed obvious to me on my first reading back in high school in the late 80's that the elves were Asian, humans were Black, and, after some searching through book one, that Dwarves were White. I then concluded that this was written as the future of OUR world, which had been destroyed and rebuilt by magic.
So: am I out of my mind or is this close to your intention in that series? If so, could you pls tell me how that became an idea you wanted to use, and why you chose the racial matchup that you did?

We did have some idea that the world was Earth as you discovered. I was not consciously thinking of the racial make-up, however. Although that could have crept in without my knowing it! Thanks! Margaret

margaretweis

First Post
Margaret - your "Death Gate Cycle" books were among some of my first fantasy novels (I'll admit I was a little bit of a late bloomer, finding the series when I was 16) and quickly found a place in my heart! Before I forget: Thank you for everything you've written!

Have you ever considered returning to the Death Gate universe at all or is there ever perhaps a chance (no matter how slim) we may ever see the aftermath of the Sartan and Patryn war on screen in the future?

I've never thought about going back. We told the story we wanted to tell. Thanks! Margaret

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Hello,

One of the serious heartbreaks I had was when the Marvel Annihilation storyline for the Heroic Role-playing didnt get printed. I have always adored the Galactic level concerns int he Marvel Universe and was ready to go all in on those products, only to find out that only PDFs were released.
Can you give some backstory to that? Was it impossible to get a small extension on the Marvel license?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, what new RPGs might be on the horizon?

Thanks,

Desh

Remove ads