D&D 5E Amazon or Local?

brehobit

Explorer
Got the PHB locally. FLGS doesn't really support RPGs, so I don't feel a huge obligation to buy from them, but I try to get _something_ from them every 6 months or so. I just wish they weren't at actual retail. Too much for something that all they do is stock (board games and RPGs). If I were a CCG person, I'd probably be more interested--that they support quite well.

Games+ I'd buy from if I was anywhere near. Now that's a FLGS. :)

Rhenny

Adventurer
I originally planned to buy the PHB local, then get the MM and DMG through Amazon.

After reading reviews of the MM, I decided to buy it at the local store and cancel my Amazon order.

I have a feeling I'll do the same for the DMG.

I actually feel good spending the extra money to support my local store and I like getting the book a few weeks before I'd get it from Amazon.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I have a nearby comic store that has been cautiously expanding in to games. I order and buy through them to encourage their growth. Their the only friendly store around. If they ever start restricting the tables or wrapping their books in plastic, like some stores I've seen, I'll start buying everything from Amazon the next day.

treebear

Villager
It depends on your situation. If moneys tight then its a tough call especially it your the DM and could really need all three books run your game. If its not and your local store supports Dnd or gaming in general with a gaming area I would support the store. If they don't then there no different from Amazon. My local store has a gaming area so I buy local.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I buy the core books from my FLGS to get them early and support a local business.

But at $13 a pop and free shipping, I impulse buy Starter Sets on Amazon as gifts for people.

You need to ask yourself several questions.
1. What does that $20 represent to you? Is it a few drinks at Starbucks? Or is it a couple days groceries?
2. Do you want to be sure you get a copy without the smudged pages (pp140-141? If you buy it in-store you can check it out.
3. Do you want to wait a week to be able to read and use the MM?
4. How much does the FLGS mean to you?

If $20 is a lot of money, you should wait for Amazon.
I don't know the percentage of faulty books, but I was told of a store that had received 72 bad copies (they seem to sometimes appear in batches) Getting a bad one from Amazon can add a few more days before you can use it.
If you need the book now, you have your answer.
Regardless of timing, your local store may be important to you, or it may not.

This.

Personally I'm buying from Amazon because:

- My local option is not a FLGS. It's just a board game store that happens to also sell D&D books (well at least the 5E ones).
- I don't need to MM right now. We're not playing 5E just yet so I can wait a week.
- I save about 40% through Amazon.
- I'm happy to take the risk that I don't get a bad copy.

the Jester

Legend
At I have a bit of a dilemma that I hope you guys can help me out with. I've already ordered the monster manual from Amazon, but have recently found out that my local game store has it early as a WPN store. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $20 just to support them? Or should I wait a week or so and get it for cheaper from Amazon?

I wish I had your dilemma. :(

I have no FLGS.

halfling rogue

Explorer
I don't have a FLGS. I do have however, a couple of local game/comic shops that are not friendly at all. Rude and arrogant more like. The one closest to me in particular is full of the Arrogant. However they get my begrudgingly minor business as they are the only local place that can supply certain needs (some comics, or if I need some quick gaming supplies). In some ways it's pretty cool to have such a neat store not too far away. On the other hand I probably wouldn't miss them if they went out of business. I've tried repeatedly to like them and give them the benefit of the doubt, but (save one employee who is rarely there) the shop is full of employees who make the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons look pretty tame.

tumblr_llkbbeBa9R1qaci5n.jpg

One of the reasons I've been lurking around here is because my Not-so-FLGS has let me down. I've tried discussing RPGs and comics and games, looking for opinions etc and more or less am just setting myself up for their Snide. So if i go in, like I said, it's for something quick and cheap, or to browse first hand some game or book I'll be purchasing from Amazon. I don't talk to anyone if I can help it. It's a shame really. I actually want to support them. I love to support local, independent stores, but this shop has basically pushed me away from any significant purchases. It's like a bad waiter at one of your favorite restaurants, deriding your choices to your face, bringing your food with rude sarcasm, making you wait half an hour for everything, etc, and then they expect you to give them a good tip and keep coming back. So for stuff like the PHB, I can spend $50 at a shop that continually disrespects their customers or I can spend almost half that online and wait an extra day or two. No question. Online all the way.

At I have a bit of a dilemma that I hope you guys can help me out with. I've already ordered the monster manual from Amazon, but have recently found out that my local game store has it early as a WPN store. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $20 just to support them? Or should I wait a week or so and get it for cheaper from Amazon?

Easy:

- Do you need it now? Get it.
- Do you have the money to support your local store? Get it.
- Do you really want to support your store? Get it.
- You don´t like Amazon? Get it.

50$ is not that expensive. In Europe, I get my book from the store for 35€ or so. About the same money I paid for the 3.5 book. 10 years later, with 1.5% inflation that is actually cheaper.

But depending on your income, 50$ may still be expensive and 20$ off seems a good deal.

Remove ads