• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ambient Inc's Necromancy book

Anyone pick this up from RPGnow yet?

The production is SUPERB (layout, graphics, etc) - and it's one of the few books that uses other Open Game Content within it's pages.

Mystic Eye

First Post
OK...Obviously I have some bias here but when I got a hold of ths book I read it all the way through. I don't usually do that with game books. I usually go at them in bite size chunks over a few days but this one was worth reading all at once.

Great book, I think people will highly enjoy the material and there is lots of good stuff that you can use in any campaign!

I want to say, GREAT JOB, to my friends at Ambient! Get this book, you won't be sorry.

Doug
www.mysticeyegames.com

Creeping Death

First Post
What's it like?

Can someone give me a run down of what it contains? How does it compare to Hollowfaust and Necromancy:Beyond the grave?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Comparative Necromancy:

Overall, it's more like the Encyclopedia Arcana: Necromancy than it is like Hollowfaust.

Cover - full colour and sexy.

Prologue:

1 page about the history of Gar'Udok, his conquest of the "northlands" and eventual defeat. Gar'Udok is a classic uber-necromancer, cut from the whole cloth so to speak.

Chapter 1 - Spells

A whole pile of spells (40+, didn't count) and, thank goodness, a page and a half dedicated to spell lists, so you know exactly what spells who gets without having to read through the spells and ferret out the exact ones that your assassin can cast. (ahem - Monte Cook - do this in BEM2). Each spell has about 3 lines of flavour text tying it into events surrounding the rise and fall of Gar'Udok. Some of the flavour text is super-flavourful.

Chapter 2 - Monsters

Selection of tasty monsters, mostly undead and constructs. Includes a REALLY nasty dragon with a sweet illustration! Also a bunch of monster templates and a balanced & playable upgrade of the classic kobold as a player character race.

Chapter 3 - Prestige Classes

Anam'Glac - people who gain powers by eating other people. Druid Prestige Class actually. Pretty sick. The sample character is VERY sick.
Legion - undead-only PrC for generals and commanders of undead hordes
Lotahm - psions with birds... a lot more to it than that, but hard to describe.
Pale Riders - wanna-be ringwraiths, for lack of a better description
Priest of Bones - cleric PrC that turns them into skeletons, interesting mechanics
Prophet - chosen representatives of their deity.
Zombie Master - same class as in Librum Equitis vol 1

Chapter 4 - Feats

1 metamagic, 3 general, 2 class-specific (one clerical, one wizard/sorcerer)

Chapter 5 - Magic Items

4 pages of magic items

Chapter 6 - Gods & Domains

Some new gods, pretty interesting. Most have one or more new domains also listed in this chapter. (8 new domains)

Epilogue

How to use this material in your campaign.

Did I mention the art kicks ass?

YAY!

Well, as one of the authors of this work, I'm certainly glad that it is gaining some attention here at EN World (and by Monte Cook as well).

Be sure to let us know your thoughts/compliments/gripes!

Oops.

Actually, I meant my response "I did" to apply to this:

[QUOTE (ahem - Monte Cook - do this in BEM2). [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry for not being clearer.

That said, I have looked at the book in question and I was REALLY impressed. I haven't got the chance to read it over in detail but I do agree that the production values are very high and it looks chock full of interesting material--spells, gods, feats, etc.

I'm looking forward to reading this one.

That said, I also checked out the website (the site www.dreadgazebo.com is at the bottom of the product's page) and was surprised to be greeted with an essay on how the d20 license is a scam.

A strange mixed message, unless it's a joke that went over my head.

Remove ads