AMpersand #400 Bill S leaving WotC (and others?)

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Here's one more set of good wishes for everyone -- move on, find the next thing as quickly as you want and need to, and make the next step a step up.

You're all responsible for a lot of something that enriches my life in a deep and important way, and I'm not alone. Thanks for all you've done, and I'll be looking forward to what's next.

Herschel

Adventurer
You can add my sympathies to those laid off. In my previous post, I had assumed he was the only one leaving.

Does anyone know the reasons behind the layoffs at this time of year? Are there some issues with the D&D property?

It's generally pretty simple: you don't have to provide benefits packages to freelancers (or outsource companies). Most companies are running as lean as possible and they'll cut heavy with potential to hire back rather than chance keeping "too many" on staff.

Greyson

Explorer
Agreed

Honestly, while I hope Bill finds a new job soon, there is a lot about his direction of D&D and the products he has had a hand in that I despise.

Going all the way back to the 90's, when he did the Revised Dark Sun campaign box. I felt like he butchered the Dark Sun setting and watered down and neutered everything that was cool about the original setting.

Throughout the years, I have found that I disagree with his vision of D&D and stewardship of the brand. More recent examples, include the increasing move to all digitial subscription based content, and the online tools fiasco. The cancellation of paper Dragon and Dungeon, and to add insult to injury even the removal of compiled PDF articles. The ever progressing boardgame-ification of D&D, and so on to name just a few.

All of it has his fingerprints all over it. I just hope whoever takes the reins next can salvage the ruins of the game I grew up with.
Agreed. It is regrettable for anyone to lose their job, and I lament that it happens. But, maybe this product is long over due for a change at this level.

MarauderX

Explorer
I had always wondered about the blind following of his balance numbers after talking with others of the WotC staff, but he still did very well coordinating and getting everyone on the same page.

We'll be seeing his work again, hopefully soon!

Remove ads