AMusing character death

MerakSpielman

First Post
Alas, mark now the death of D'narg Glittertunnel, dwarven rogue of loose morals, wonderful lockpicking skills, and total cowardice.

But who would have expected the very ceiling rafters to have been animated objects? One of the confounded things grappled poor D'narg as he was searching the seemingly safe room... The rest of the party was engaged as well - a total of 4 of the things were grabbing around from the ceiling, trying to squeeze the life out of people.

Round after round, D'narg failed his Escape Artist check, and his hit points slowly drained away. Meanwhile, several of the animated rafters had been defeated, splintering into a multitude of fragments (which, thankfully, did not exhibit animation of their own, a la The Sorcerer's Apprentice).

D'narg was down to 1 hit point. "Help. Please?" he gurgled.

The local stupid half-orc barbarian/ranger shuffled over with his huge Orc Double Axe.

"Hold still," he grunted, and swung the thing twice with great force.

Both strikes managed to hit D'narg instead of the animated rafter. It was a total of 18 points of damage.

The really amusing part is that, upon encountering some more of the things later in the dungeon, the party discovered that as soon as their target falls unconscious, the animated rafter drops him and selects a new target. They're designed to be a non-lethal encounter.

Poor D'narg.

Blue Sky

Explorer
No need for house rules. There's a chance of hitting either person when swinging into a grapple.

Wow. I just corrected Hypersmurf on rules. I must be a rules god!

the Jester

Legend
Blue Sky said:
No need for house rules. There's a chance of hitting either person when swinging into a grapple.

Wow. I just corrected Hypersmurf on rules. I must be a rules god!

Only with missiles. :)

This came up imc a while back- I ran it wrong, discovered the mistake, and fortunately hadn't slain any pcs. :p

LordBOB

First Post
someone wanted to be a ninja based character or something like that and immediatly started using posion. He fumbled and killed himself with his own posion within 10 minutes of making the character. He got mad and stormed out of the building blamming it in us. Obviously it wasnt our fault.

The same dude as above had a fighter and for some stupid reason he went to get his horse. Now he wanted to bring his horse down a frikin ladder and during the process the horse got spooked, tripped, and crushed the fighter. His remains were than eaten by a troll as well as the horse.

My magic user was searching an old house/Mansion with my group and we came to this room with a couch. I was tired and sat down. All of a sudden a swarm of insects flew out of a painting and we were locked in the room. they thought the couch was the problem and they wanted me to get up. Than from out of no where a fighter rams his sword through my stomach. They than ignited some oil to burn down the door which gave them smoke posioning. All but 1 person was down and luckly it was a cleric who was able to revive some characters. All in all myself and a druid died

RandomPrecision

First Post
Just recently...

Our party had two clerics (ugh...). One of them stopped to talk to an elf that we found. After some dialogue, that cleric and the elf started fighting. The other cleric, who had been somewhat of a pain to start with (claiming twice as many items as anyone else...if we came to four items, we'd initially say 'I want item A', 'I want item B', and 'I want 2 items', even in reverse order), chose the side of the elf NPC, and declared that he was attacking me, even though I hadn't chosen a side. He then changed targets to the other cleric. So, with the entire party pretty much at odds, I fled though a lightning trap, ending up with one hit point, two rooms away, and the cleric who started the fight with the NPC followed me. The more annoying cleric remained with the elf NPC and tried to help her, but she made a comment about how she didn't like half-orcs, and this player role-played his disgust with that comment and ended up fighting her anyway. Alone, because the rest of the party had left him. Maybe not outwardly funny, but certainly ironic, in a good way.

BullMarkOne

First Post
Way back in my 2e dragonlance days, my 1/2 elven thief had an unfortunate incident with a cockatrice. Before I could even strike a pose, the obligatory party kender produced a large hammer, and loudly proclaimed, "I'll fix him!"

Animated ceiling rafters...vicious and clever.

My favorite TMNT character, a timetraveling human named Rand; jumped out of a helicopter to come to the rescue of the other PCs. And ends up sliced to pieces in the helicopter's blades. Not very amusing at the time, but funny in a kind-of pathetic way looking back on it.

Remove ads