D&D 5E An alternative version of Warlock Spell Slots

jgsugden

Legend
So in a non-combat day, they just get fewer slots? As in 1 per rest? How is that an improvement?
Ignore that comment - I was going to post two variants but only posted one. In the one I posted, the only thing that happens is if a Warlock begins a combat with no spell slots, they get one lesser powered slot. It is an addition to the capabilities of the warlock with no subtraction. The other version I was going to post had a subtraction and a different addition.

So, for a 'non-combat day', they'd have the same number of slots. However, if they're called upon to do battle and have no slots available, they get one lower level slot.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It seems the goal is to make sure warlocks have something available but with reduced power. I like putting that choice in the hands of the player. Maybe play with the fact that Warlock spell slots are always at their highest level.

If a warlock uses a spell slot at their highest level, the slot returns at the end of a short rest assuming the spell has ended.
If you downgrade the slot by 1, it comes back an hour after the spell ends, regardless if there is a rest.
If you downgrade the slot by 2, it comes back 5 minutes after the spell ends, regardless if there is a rest.
If you downgrade the slot by 3 or more, once the spell ends the Warlock recharges the slot on a 5-6.

This handles utility casting and it make sure there aren't overlapping spells. It doesn't always give a slot - but it makes it so that based on the players choices there can be slots.

"Hour" basically is "not immediately if we're doing combats in a row, but if enough time passed I could have rested, I've got it". "5 minutes" is basically "once per encounter" under most circumstances.

Give them Sacrifice to the Patron: if the first enemy a warlock damages in a combat takes the damage from the warlock's familiar, pact weapon, or a cantrip from the Book of Shadows, they regain 1 spell slot if they have an empty one.

If I was in charge of 5.5 or 6e, warlocks would get all their spell slots from damaging enemies with their pact implements :devilish:.

An alternative:
-Warlocks regain all spell slots on a long rest
-Regain none on a short rest
-Regain one expended spell slot when rolling initiative

Takes away the reliance on short rests, but always gives them at lest one spell to toss in a fight.

Warlock and Arcane Archer (Fighter subclass) have the same recharge abilities for Arcane Shot options and Warlock spell slots.
So a good way to see if changing Warlock spellcasting is to apply the same change to Arcane Archers and see if it causes any issues.
If it works for both, a better chance it won't cause issues in your game.

I love bags of rats.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or how about - they may spend a point of Inspiration to regain a spell slot?

May just generalize to any spellcaster being able to regain a spell slot - it just means a bit more when you only have, like, two of them.

Remove ads