• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Evolving D&D System?

theoremtank

First Post
I recently started thinking how great it would be if the D&D system designers had a chance to continually simplify, refine, add to, subtract from, and make more consistent the current d20 system mechanics in a new product. I would imagine that many of these guys would jump at the chance for the pure love of RPG design. Now I know what I am suggesting may not seem so realistic in the business world as there are deadlines and requirements to make a product concrete, but I suggest this purely for the aesthetics or RPG theory and my interest to see this great game become greater.

So I suggest in addition to the core rules (which would remain as the standard) a new D&D rulebook that could be released possibly twice a year epitomizing the evolution of the d20 designers thoughts about the rule system. This book would allow them the chance to completely rewrite rules sections that they now feel, after the fact, could be done better. The book would not contain the entire rules sections such as those in the Players Handbook, but only the revised portions. Thus it would not take away from sales of the PHB but only supplement them. The books could be given versions and dates that would be clearly displayed on the front, representing the Designers works up to that point. The new rulebook, might be called "Living D&D" or something similar to represent the evolution of the rule set and distinguish itself from the core books.

I have a feeling such a product might really appeal to the "house ruling" type of customers who often feel somewhat bothered by small inconsistencies that are inherent in a concrete ruleset. Who knows maybe this might be something profitable for WotC to consider. The idea is probably crazy but I would really love to see the D&D system designers be allowed the chance to continue there pursuit of the ultimate RPG and hopefully make money at the same time. Any thought (good or bad) on this idea are welcome.

kenjib

First Post
Without making the changes so official, you could just make it a big book of variant rules, like taking all of the sidebars in the PHB and DMG and running with that. It doesn't even have to be WotC that puts the book out either.

How to switch to wounds/vitality, how to use DR for armor, adjustment suggestions for running a low magic game, the grim n' gritty combat system, quirks and flaws, action dice, panache, a point based class design system (which is effectively a classless d20), converting magic to a mana (using psion-like rules), exhaustion, or skill/feat based system, core class variants, different ways to handle xp and/or levelling, tips for playing the game without miniatures/counters/grid, etc.

Last edited:

Shade Murphy

First Post
Yes, but for some rules it would have to be WOTC that will publish it. Because they have the right to put in EXP, ABILITY, and HP rules. And yes, I would like to see this happen.

dema

First Post
2e anyone?

Looks at bookshelf (thinks dinosaurs got big and died)
Looks at empty pocket (thinks TSR ate all the money)

Seriously, 2e was like that. Personally I loved the hacked and bits of rules here and there. I used everything under the sun in 2e, SnP, CnT, SnM, Options galore, things from this book and that box (miss those boxes.)

DnD is evolvling, however it is evolving in our home games.

When this next monster is ready to see the light of day we will have 4e.

For now I think everyone is fooling around with the DnD monster. If you want to see this living DnD thing, visit the various websites out there to see how DnD is evolving right now.

When the beast is complete, then an official release will come, and then the hounds will feast.

-dem

BTW: The DnD 3e designer have started tweeking things already.

dren

First Post
theoremtank, great idea for a book of variant rules, I know exactly what we could call it, 3e AD&D as in D&D Alternative or even D&D HB as in Homebrew rules.

Certainly better (and cheaper) that the dreaded 4e, I hate it when people use that term. I've spent too much time converting my stuff from 2e to 3e as well as the stupid amount of money I've already spent on a system that's just a few years old to even hear the possibility of a rules overhaul.

I don't know, but it seems that is what messageboards like this one are for.

What's the real difference between a couple guys at WotC publishing a book that says, "Oh yeah, spell X is broken and here's a way to fix it." And 150 people in the Rules forum here saying, "Oh yeah, spell X is broken and here are 2 dozen ways to fix it."

Personally, I prefer the 2nd option. More breadth of choice, and it's free :D

kenjib

First Post
Shade Murphy said:
Yes, but for some rules it would have to be WOTC that will publish it. Because they have the right to put in EXP, ABILITY, and HP rules. And yes, I would like to see this happen.

Oh yeah. Good point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A book of variant rules, fine. A bi-annual publication of rules rewrites? No, thanks. The occasional tweak is one thing. Sitting down to consider major revisions to my campaigns twice a year is another thing. A thing I don't want.

If nothing else, doing this so frequently would probably mean that the "updates" were not very well playtested.

Though, such a plan would make D&D rather more like M:tG. Hasbro might like that. Each new rules-set changes the game substantially, and then there's errata on the rules, and then we find that the new rules don't interact well with old rules, so there'd be new errata on old rules, to cover the interactions. Tournament players would have to keep buying guides describing the best munchkin combinations.... :D

Humanophile

First Post
WOTC's smart about this. Their people do look at what rules people use, what they like, and where other D20 publishers are expanding things. And with the D20 liscense, they can grab and adapt good ideas from other people, just as anyone else can. So watch the good ideas evolve into effective New Rules as time goes on.

But putting out new rules expansions at that rate of speed would be counterproductive and expensive, as well as a whole host of other flaws that other people are pointing out. And for an outside party to do such a thing would be similarly pointless in print, and close to copyright violation in practice. (After all, you're ripping huge chunks out of other books, that's not that polite if you don't talk it over with the publishers first.)

If you actually want to do this (and I mean personally, not in the "well, someone should" sense), the best idea would be to list all the sources for variant rules that you know of, give a rough idea what they mean, give links to the books/sites they come from, and have a ratings section where people can vote on what rules they find most useful. Break things down into categories like magic, combat, etc. so that people can browse for ideas or places they think the official rules are thin, and so on. Setting that up as a webpage would probably be time-consuming, but hosting isn't too hard to find (Morrus has been very ready to encourage D&D based websites, for instance), and it'd be interesting to watch.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
theoremtank said:
I have a feeling such a product might really appeal to the "house ruling" type of customers who often feel somewhat bothered by small inconsistencies that are inherent in a concrete ruleset.
Possibly, but I doubt it... As one of the "house ruling type", I've actively worked in the opposite direction of simplification in favor of further details and options, mostly because most of the stylistic choices 3E assumes (high magic, super-heroic fantasy, abstraction of story-elements) aren't the same choices I play by. All in all, I have more faith that WotC will expand on the system while companies like Mongoose, Sword & Sorcery and Bastion will provide the variants and options.

And if WotC does make a book of "optional" rules, it would have to be better than anything I've already implemented.;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads