• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An idea for a "third" book in the Campaign Setting sets.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
Originally posted on RPG.net [4E] A idea for a 'third' book for setting. - RPGnet Forums But I thought I'd throw it here to see if anyone else liked this idea.

The idea in a nut shell is to add a 3rd book in the setting material for each of the published Campaign settings. This book would be built much like Open Grave/Dragonomicon. It would give tiered NPC groups and encounters iconic to the setting. It would flesh out the examples in the Campaign guide, and have a modular toolkit approach much like Dungeon Delve did. So for example Eberron would feature Heroic tiered Spy encounters, a 3-5 page blurb expanding on the Spy groups in Eberron, and 'monster' stat blocks for that encounter. Then the next would be Paragon tier Drow encounters featuring a Skill Challenge, etc, etc. The book would include a tear away map of the smaller encounters. A counterpoint to the Campaign Guide big world maps. While the Campaign Guide features a little of this, this book would be the expansion beyond the intro adventures given.

In keeping with the naming convention of Player's Guide, Campaign Guide, I think this module could be called Adventure Guide. So. Forgotten Realm Adventure Guide, Eberron Adventure Guide, etc.

Personally I don't find the adventures to be as useful as the 'setting/monster' books like Open Grave and Manual of the Planes. And this would fill that nitch of good monsters and encounters I could play with. So, EnWorld. What do you think?

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
I don't think there's such a thing as too many good adventures, so I don't see it as an either-or thing. But having said that, this kind of toolkit sounds, at the very least, interesting. I'd probably consider buying one even for a setting I wasn't using, if it wasn't too strongly flavoured (Realms, yes; Dark Sun, yes because while strongly flavoured, I like the setting; Ravenloft, probably not).

Squizzle

First Post
I'm not sure that giant fantasy kitchen sinks like Forgotten Realms or Eberron need this, but Dark Sun could certainly benefit from a Big Book of Things That Try to Kill You.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Yes, I think DS could really use this kind of \book, but so could FR and EB. In FR, it would be a good way to introduce appropriate organizations to deal with (peacefully or not) at different levels.

For EB, might be better to details regions to adventure in at different levels.

But a very good idea.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
Well, a great deal of changed in the FR setting in the last 100 years. I'd find a book like this would help give me a depth of foes to face.

I had a simalar though last year when FR first came out, but I at the time thought maybe not right away. I think a book like this for FR coming out in say late next year early 2011 would work great.

then do the same every year Dec 2010 FR adventure book, Dec 2011 Ebberon, Dec 2012 (If the myan calander didn't kill us) Dark Sun. It gives the creaters a break, and the fans a second look. It could even showcase how to use later books in that setting...Artaficers in the realms, Psionics in Ebberon, ect...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads