• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An open letter to Randy Buehler

Goumindong

First Post
Either way you look at it, that they could have been receiving revenue, or that they could have been showing off their finished product for more time its going to cost them revenue.

Note: the worse their product is, the less they want to show it off to the public before accepting subscriptions.

Hussar

Legend
Then's it's a bit of a catch 22 then isn't it. Show off the product, and you lose money and subscribers because it's crap, or keep it hidden, take people's money and suffer the backlash because your product is crap.

If your product is crap, it doesn't really matter either way in the end. I don't really think the product is crap though. Dragon has been very strong, Dungeon's been okay. I'm not seeing major drops in quality in either publication.

Although the spelling mistake on the loading page REALLY should be fixed. :)

Qualidar

First Post
So, Qualidar, it's your opinion that they should have gone immedietely to a pay site, sight unseen? That by offering free content for several months, they've actually cost themselves potential revenue.

Am I correct in that?

No, of course not.

It's my opinion that they should have hired the right people to develop the site so it could have been released on schedule. Remember: the free period was supposed to be over at the launch of 4e. Even with their shaky offering up to that point, people would have signed on in droves, and they would have forgiven a lackluster preview period to get all the 4e they could have at the launch.

Goumindong

First Post
Then's it's a bit of a catch 22 then isn't it. Show off the product, and you lose money and subscribers because it's crap, or keep it hidden, take people's money and suffer the backlash because your product is crap.

If your product is crap, it doesn't really matter either way in the end. I don't really think the product is crap though. Dragon has been very strong, Dungeon's been okay. I'm not seeing major drops in quality in either publication.

Although the spelling mistake on the loading page REALLY should be fixed. :)

The publication wasn't what was delayed. It was the rest of DnD insider.

The rest of DnD Insider won't hold a candle to a free product already released (maptools) and so they might have a problem selling it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads