• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anarchy in the FR!!!

jayaint

First Post
I have heard the term "post-apocalyptic fantasy" several times on different threads, boards, etc. I am assuming that means some kind of doomsday scenario in a modern world, including a surviving population, and the fantasy part being mutants, wild pyschic talents that emerge, lasers, et al.

Well, I started thinking about what would happen if a DnD setting was to undergo some kind of apocalyptic act. Set the end-of-the-world in an already fantastical world full of rich and exciting history.

Basically: Let's take the Forgotten Realms and end it!!! :] (Sorry, Mr. Baker.)

Thayan wizards, working in secret, have developed a weapon that causes a rift in the fabric of The Weave AND the Shadow Weave at the same time, causing a massive amount of harmful energy to pour forth in a radius of hundreds of miles. They are losing their in-plain-sight battles and some of their undercover plans have been discovered. They are cornered like a rat and nervous.

The device is actually quite simple, other than one or two EXPENSIVE ingredients, and they make several. They are portable (i.e. fit in the back of a caravan wagon) and do not radiate magic until they are activated.

The Silverymoon contigent finds out about the plot and rushes to construct a defense, while Waterdeep sits the fence. A counter defense of some potency is devised.

Some rogue organization steals one of the devices and threatens to set it off in Waterdeep. Panic erupts. They join Silverymoon in trying to root out this evil.

Diviners' future sight goes dim. Mystra seems pale, frial, and weakened. Even Shar won't show her head. The Gods begin to turn their back on all but their highest clerics and champions. Feint and counterfeint by groups and organizations try to sort out the knife-edge thin mess.

One device goes live, and in shadow retaliation, both sides loose their weapons. Most populous areas have been targeted by the Thayans, as well as some strongholds of other races. The Thayan geographic region and its neighbors would be wiped out.

Iconics, adventurers, and commoners alike would be scorched and burnt, though there would be no lingering effects in the air. (i.e. fallout)

Who might have been lucky enough to survive? What kind of chaos would ensue during the days after the scenario? Would the dragons who survived be enraged enough to try and re-assert their control over Faerun? Who (races, PCs, creatures) would rise from the ashes to try and live again? Would the Gods return to their decimated flocks? Let the end-of-Faerun begin!!!

(Thanks to DanMcS and BlackMoria from another thread for their feedback in my original wavering post about discussing this.)

-jay

Imperialus

Explorer
I can just see this turning into another Gnomish Industrial Revolution. :p I'd offer 2cp's but I know almost nothing about the Realms.

reanjr

First Post
jayaint said:
Well, I started thinking about what would happen if a DnD setting was to undergo some kind of apocalyptic act. Set the end-of-the-world in an already fantastical world full of rich and exciting history.

It's called Dark Sun.

Wraith Form

Explorer
reanjr said:
It's called Dark Sun.
That's just what I was going to say.

Mind you, I *do* think the FR setting needs a little shaking up (to get the dust & cobwebs off it), but you could do worse than to look at Dark Sun for inspiration regarding a cataclysmic event in a fantasy setting. Midnight might also slightly fit your requirements, if by apocalypse you mean the Bad Guy won and we're all gonna suffer.

Last edited:

Sigurd

First Post
I seem to recall a fantasy world scenario where a high elven council decided that human beings were consuming too much of the world and that they were eventually the greatest threat to the lands they loved. The council created a desease that only affects humans. The humans die in a state of euphoria. The council seeds the various cities of the world with this desease and presto.... a new setting. More wilderness, more ruins more adventures.

Don't remember if it was FR but its the best apocalipse I can think of of the top of my head.

S

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
I seem to recall a fantasy world scenario where a high elven council decided that human beings were consuming too much of the world and that they were eventually the greatest threat to the lands they loved. The council created a desease that only affects humans. The humans die in a state of euphoria. The council seeds the various cities of the world with this desease and presto.... a new setting. More wilderness, more ruins more adventures.

These arrogant bastard elves..Now i have another reason to hate them even more :] .

Tetsubo

First Post
My latest FR campaign imploded before I did such a "shake-up". I had planned on dropping the Dragonstar Empire on the players heads. I was even going to offer them a way "out" of the Realms if the wanted it. Sadly I never got to pull it off. But the first two places to be "nuked" from orbit were going to be Thay and Waterdeep...

jester47

First Post
The thing is, in a way, the Forgotten Realms are kind of post apocalyptic. Sorta. With all the empires that have crashed and burned (Netheril did it literally) in the last 2000 years, it fits the whole once there were older and wiser nations whose pride created the current world. Expect some material in the next FR supplement.

For globabl catastrophe I would do somthing with the Cult of the Dragon.

Krynn also has a post apocalyptic age that no one develops...

Aaron.

jayaint

First Post
JESTER!!!... thanks for some input on the original question. Saving my thread for me! Though its good to see (via Tetsubo) that Thay and Waterdeep are popular "first strike" points. :confused:

Imperialus "I can just see this turning into another Gnomish Industrial Revolution "

-I agree with that, in that, I think the left over members of the races would naturally (?) gather together with each other and try to preserve their heritage by doing what they do best. I think that some of the BEST forged weapons and armor in the history of Faerun would come from the one or two dwarven forges left operational. I think the elves would retreat to any standing forest and gather their magical arts there. Though I wonder whether this might force them to go check out their Island Retreat, if they felt the call or not. So on and so on for the races. It might even lead to a period of racial tension and distrust. Would be hard for a multi-racial PC party to move around and get help, lodging, etc.

Originally Posted by reanjr
It's called Dark Sun.

Really? :\ Dark Sun is what happens right after Waterdeep, Silverymoon, The Dales, Thay and almost each and every point in between get decimated? I don't remember getting to try and pilfer Elminster's tower in Dark Sun. I don't remember Clerics of Mystra being in constant pain, from the residual effects of what the apocalypse did to their Goddess. I don't remember Oriental Adventure characters starting to migrate in from the east and pulling power plays over the huddled, confused commoners who had survived.

I know what Dark Sun is. I've played it. It was too orange for my taste. Thanks for taking the time to comment on the 3rd sentence of my post without any regard for the rest of it.

Wraith Form - I have flipped through the "Midnight" book, and I liked it. I just really didn't want it to be about the "bad guy" winning, as much as about, were all in the same boat, and the boat has holes, and we don't have paddles, and there are sharks about. :)

And what could POSSIBLY have happened at Myth Drannor when all this energy was released? *shivers*

Last edited:

Remove ads