4E And the Uppity Shoeshine... (DM:twilsemail; Judge: renau1g)

twilsemail

Visitor
And the Uppity Shoeshine…

Cast
Eithal (H.M.Gimlord) - Goliath Warden 7
Fredrock (Xeterog) - Dwarf Battlemind 6
Kaz (Luinnar) - Elf Avenger 6
"Scarmiglione (Mewness) - Kenku Rogue|Sorcerer 6
Toeto (Dekana) - Lizardfolk Shaman 6
Yishim (ronakshah2000) - Human Wizard 6

To Locate a Missing Son

The group has been gathered to locate the lost son of the self-styled merchant lord Sasha Rustavich.

Game Stats


Date started: 19MAY2011
Judge: renau1g

XP

Treasure

Quests
- Major: Locate the body of Mikhael Rustavich.
- Minor: To be revealed a bit later.


[Sblock=DM Requests]Welcome to the hunt!

I would appreciate it if you could all include a stat block in your first post. Also, if those blocks could be included during combat and kept at least mildly up to date. An example follows:

[sblock=Tondrek] Tondrek—Male Half-orc Artificer 6
Initiative: +7, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14
AC: 22, Fort: 19, Reflex: 19, Will: 17 — Speed: 6, 8 when charging
HP: 53/53, Bloodied: 26, Surge: 13, Surges left: 9/10; Half-orc Resilience
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Magic Weapon
Static Shock
Scouring Weapon
Repulsion Strike
Icebound Sigil
Flameheart Defender
Healing Infusion x2
Swift Mender
Furious Assault
Regeneration Infusion
Battle Staff +1 (daily)
Targeting Crossbow +2 (daily)
Point Blank Repeating Crossbow +1 (encounter)
Skald's Leather Armor +2 (daily)
Onyx Dog (daily)
2 Clockwork Bombs
2 Woundpatches
2 Alchemist's Acids

Doggie—Construct 4
Initiative +7; Low-light, Passive Perception 17
AC: 16, Fort: 15, Reflex: 14, Will: 13 — Speed: 8
HP: 22/9; Bloodied 4

Full character sheet[/sblock][/Sblock]

[sblock=props]Thanks to R1 who I am shamelessly copying this from. He, in turn, shamelessly copied from SG. Thanks to him as well, then. [/sblock]
 
Last edited:

twilsemail

Visitor
Very shortly after Reeve departs a large carriage, easily large enough to carry the party, arrives at the Hanged Man. The driver takes them down near the water, to a house that is more a statement than an abode. The intended statement is fairly obviously “I am better than you.”

A well-groomed footman opens the door and offers a hand to any who might require it. Reeve stands beside a magnificent doorway, waiting to lead you all inside. “My master awaits within.”
 

renau1g

Visitor
As the party is leaving the tavern, one of the wenches turns and waves "May Juna judge your efforts just" she says.

OOC: I can judge
 

Xeterog

Visitor
Might as well see what this is all about. Fredrock says as he gets out of the carriage.

OOC: Still awaiting approval..PC:Fredrock Hammersmith (Xeterog) - L4W Wiki



[sblock=Fredrock]

Fredrock Hammersmith - Male Dwarf Battlemind, level 6
Passive Perception: +17, Passive Insight: +22 Senses: Low-Light
Init +2, Speed:5
AC:23, Fort:19, Reflex:19, Will:23
HP 64/64, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:16, Surges left:13/13
Action Points: 1/1, Power points 4/4
Powers-
Blurred Step link
:close:Battlemind Demand link
:melee:Mind Spike link
:melee:Bull's Strength link
:melee:Iron Fist link
:melee:Mist Weapon link
Second Wind link
Battle Resilience link
:close:Telepathic Challenge link
:ranged:Psionic Ambush link
:melee:Aspect of Elevated Harmony link
:melee:Beckoning Strike link
:melee:Beckoning Strike attack

Item powers
Dwarven Scale armor link
Manifestor Weapon link

:melee:MBA +12 vs AC, 1d10+8 (brutal 2)
:ranged:RBA +2 vs AC, 1d4-1 (improvised..would have to pick up a rock or something)
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Mewness

Visitor
Scarmiglione can't help himself: he simply must find out what is going on with this Lord Rustavich. He knows precious little about the man--not even whether the fellow is an opera buff--and during the entire carriage ride he has been burning with curiosity. What could the problem be? Missing wife? Traitorous heir? Pregnant housemaid?--no, no, he'd hardly want a group of people like this to deal with something like that. "But whatever could it be!" he murmurs to himself.

Scarmiglione steps from the carriage with barely a thought about being recognized, despite the flimsiness of his identity as "Harold Smith."

[sblock=MiniKenku]Scarmiglione Male Kenku Rogue|Sorcerer 6
Initiative: +7, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 13, Senses: Low-light vision
AC:21, Fort:16, Reflex:20, Will:19; Resist 5 psychic
HP:49/49, Bloodied:24, Surge Value:12, Surges left:7/7
Action Points: 1
Blazing Starfall
Sly Flourish

Wave of Light
Low Slash
Swift Parry
Songmaster’s Boon (item)
Second Wind

Blinding Barrage
Thunder Leap
Deep Shroud
Shadowdance Armor (item)
Lucky Charm (item)


Phase of the Sun: At the start of my turn, each enemy adjacent to me takes 2 fire and radiant damage; resist 5 cold
Phase of the Moon: Bonus to AC equal to number of conscious adjacent enemies; resist 5 psychic
Phase of the Stars: Whenever an enemy's attack misses me, I can teleport 2 as a free action; resist 5 radiant

First Time Bloodied: Change immediately to next phase.

Conditions: phase of the moon

Full sheet: Scarmiglione

Not yet approved for level 6.[/sblock]
 

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Following after her friends Eithal emerges from the hanged man, "Wayt foah me!" The carriage groans under the warden's weight as she steps inside.

Hunched inside the vehicle, she fights the feeling of claustrophobia as it rambles down the streets. When she emerges, the footman swears that the underside of the carriage is not nearly as high as it was at the beginning of the trip. Eithal, however, takes no notice, "Awlrightie! Whayel, whayah's - ooooooooooh," the awesome sight of the dwelling takes Eithal's last statement and throws it back down her throat, "Layand saykes! Thayat's a beeeaaaautie of a hayouse!"

[sblock=Eithal's Ministats]Eithal Lemindt Arehei Female Goliath Warden Level 7
Initiative: +3
Speed 6
Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 13; Senses: Normal
Powerful Athlete: Roll twice for Jump/Climb Athletics checks
AC: 21; Fort: 21; Reflex: 15; Will: 17
HP: 78/78
Surge Value: 19; Surges left: 13/13
Action Points: 1

At Will Powers:
:melee: Strength of Stone link
:melee: Thorn Strike link
:melee:Warden's Fury link
Warden's Grasp link


Encounter Powers:
:melee: Grasping Winds link
:melee: Relentless Panther Attack[/s]
link
:close: Burst of Earth's Fury link
Mountain Hammer link
Stone's Endurance
link
Warden's Tempest link
Second Wind


Daily Powers
:
Form of the Relentless Panther link
Storm Strike link
Bear's Endurance link

Feats:

Sudden Roots: Whenever Eithal hits an enemy with an Opportunity Attack, that enemy is slowed until the end of its next turn.

Crushing Earthstrength: When Eithal uses her second wind, she gains a +4 bonus to her weapon damage rolls until the end of her next turn.


Guard of Stone: While Eithal is under the effect of her stone’s endurance racial power, each enemy marked by Eithal takes an additional penalty to attack rolls for attacks that don’t include Eithal as a target. The penalty equals her Constitution modifier and lasts until the end of her next turn.

Courage of the Lone Stag: When you mark three or more enemies with Nature’s Wrath, you gain a +2 bonus to weapon damage rolls against creatures you mark until the start of your next turn. This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level, and to +4 at 21st level.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Dekana

Visitor
Scarmiglione said:
"But whatever could it be!" he murmurs to himself.
Toeto, next to exit the carriage, nods slightly as she wonders about the same thing. She rather suspects that the task must be dangerous and quite violent. That's enough to make her sigh.

Her eyes go right past the house and instead to the river. "Nice view" she comments.

[sblock=Stat block/Actions]Actions
...

PC:Toeto (Dekana) - L4W Wiki - Female Lizardfolk Shaman 6
Initiative +5, Senses: Insight +7, Perception +12; low-light vision
HP 53/53; Bloodied 26, Surge Value 13, Surges 10/10
AC 22; Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 19
Speed 5
Action Points 1 (encounter)

Conditions

Powers
Spirit's Shield (OA from spirit companion)
Call Spirit Companion, Imposter's Finemail, Protecting Strike, Voice of Battle
Certain Threat, Healing Spirit x2, Lizardfolk Recovery, Speak with Spirits, Spring Renewal Strike, Sudden Restoration
Healing Word, Hungry Spirits Totem, Protective Roots, Spirit of the Healing Flood, Wind of Pain and Succor

Notes
Any ally adjacent to Toeto's spirit companion regains +3 additional hit points when he or she uses second wind or when Toeto uses a healing power on him or her.
Boon: When Toeto summons Sprout, enemies adjacent to her take 1 radiant damage and allies adjacent to Sprout gain 1 THP.

[sblock=Spirit Companion notes]The spirit companion is treated as a conjuration with some exceptions.
  • It occupies 1 square like an ally does.
  • It is only affected by melee or ranged attacks (not close/area attacks or zones).
  • It is dispersed if it takes 13 or more damage from a single blow, and Toeto takes 8 damage. It is otherwise unaffected by attacks. It uses Toeto's defenses.
  • It cannot be flanked and it does not grant flanking.
  • The companion can move 5 squares whenever Toeto takes a move action. It is not affected by difficult terrain.
[/sblock][/sblock]
 

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
OOC: Rock on guys! I'll be following along your progress and cheering from the sidelines.
 

Luinnar

Visitor
Kaz steps out of the carriage. Unluckily for him he sat next to Eithal during the trip, but thanks to his small frame he survived with only minor injuries.

Glancing at the house, he was in awe. He has seen stately manors back in the Jade Kingdom, but he had yet to bask in the opulence of homes in this country.

[sblock=stat block]
Kaz Male Elf Avenger 6,
Initiative: +6, Passive Perception: 25, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low Light
AC:22, Fort:18, Reflex:19, Will:21
HP: 58/58, Bloodied:29, Surge Value:14, Surges left:9/9
Action Points: 1
Basic Attack Battlecrazed Executioner's Axe+1, +8 vs AC, 1d12+5 damage (+1d12 on crit, 19-20 threat against undead, +1d6 when bloodied, reroll 1&2 damage)

Powers:
Bond of Pursuit
Overwhelming Strike

Angelic Alacrity
Oath of Enmity
Abjure Undead/Divine Guidance
Sequestering Strike
Avenger's Resolve
Second Wind
Elven Accuracy

Amulet of Life +1
Aspect of Might
Strength of Many
Soul Seeker
Battlecrazed Executioner's Axe +1

Conditions:
Non-elf allys within 5 square get +1 to perception.

If oath target moves away willingly, +6 damage to next attack. (Censure of Pursuit)

Can shift through difficult terrain (wild step)
[/sblock]
 
Wow, Kaz, will you look at this place? It's going to be one of those places where you should take off your boots when you enter! With that, Yishim casts a quick illusion to make his own boots disappear.

[sblock=Yishim Stat Block]Yishim- Male Human Wizard 6
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 20
AC:22, Fort:15, Reflex:20, Will:19, Resist 10 Force -- Speed:6
HP:41/41, Bloodied:20, Surge Value:10, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +7
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Notable Feats: Action Surge, Phantom Echoes, Enlarge Spell
Powers: Freezing Burst, Phantom Bolt, Shield, Levitate, Heroic Effort, Grasping Shadows, Maze of Mirrors, Orb of Deception, Orb of Insurmountable Force, Phantom Chasm, Visions of Avarice, Brooch of Shielding
Other: Deathwalker's Boon (19-20 Crit Range vs. Undead, does not draw OAs from Undead and passes through thier squares as allies)
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Yishim_(ronakshah2000)
[/sblock]
 

Mewness

Visitor
Scarmiglione mutters something unintelligible about the decor, which, rich and impressive as it may be, is apparently not in accord with his notions of good taste.
 

twilsemail

Visitor
Reeve leads the party through the house and to the chamber where his master waits.

A bald human with an impressive mustache sits with fingers steepled and his chin resting on his thumb. He appears to be deep in thought, contemplating an item on his large desk. Reeve clears his throat to gain his master’s attention, “Master Rustavich, it is my pleasure to present your adventurers. Apparently their reputation should precede them. This is, ah, ‘Mr. Smith’ and company.” It is faily plain from the way Reeve says 'adventurers' that it is not his pleasure at all.

As the seneschal speaks, Rustavich’s eyes rise to the party. A smile cracks his face and he rises. “Greetings. Greetings. I am happy to welcome you into my home. Is there anything I can get for you?”

Any reasonable requests will have Reeve sent to fetch them. Anything else will receive an amiable laugh.

“This,” he gestures to his desk, “is what has me asking you here today.” On the desk rests what appears to be an eight inch (20 cm) steel wasp with an overly large face. “It arrived this morning.”

[sblock=Arcana 21]The item on the desk is a Final Messenger (EPG 115). This is a warforged component that leaves the body of a dead or dying warforged to relay one last message.[/sblock]

He pauses for just a moment to see if there is any recognition in the eyes of his guests.
 

Mewness

Visitor
Scarmiglione has no idea what the significance of the metal bug might be, except that it reminds him of a real bug, which makes him sort of hungry for bugs. He examines the arms of the chair he's sitting on, vaguely hoping that a bug might be crawling on them that he might surreptitiously eat, but unfortunately there are none. He asks politely for a small glass of sherry, and takes advantage of the distraction to feel the bottom of the chair, but there are no bugs there, either.
 
Last edited:

twilsemail

Visitor
The pause was brief. It did not last long enough for anyone to truly speak up anyhow.

"This thing came from my son's... companion. It holds the last image that Shod saw before he perished. At least, that's what I've been told. The image leads me to assume that my son..." he pauses for a moment to compose himself. While he is not breaking down, this conversation is hard for him. Try as he might, the man cannot make this sound like a simple business conversation.

"My boy is dead. I don't know where. I don't know how. I want you to find him. If we can get him back, then someone can bring him back."
 

Luinnar

Visitor
This one is sorry for your grief. Kaz says, looking sad. Himura Kazuhira will do whatever it takes to find your child's body and avenge his death.

What is the image of? Kaz asks, looking at the metal bug.
 

twilsemail

Visitor
"What looks like my son's hand holding a sword. Here. Take the thing. Look into it's eyes. It will show you." He snatches the insect from the desk and holds it out to the party at large.

GM: Anyone looking can see what they see here.
[sblock=Image]The viewing takes only a second to kick in and is immediately disorienting. After a moment you realize that the image was from the perspective of someone laying on their side. The sight lasts for perhapts three seconds.

An unmoving young man's hand grasps an ornately decorated sword. Blood pools under the hand on a rough stone floor. Water drips down lichen growing on a wall in the background.

Due to the angle very little is actually visible.[/sblock]
 

Xeterog

Visitor
Is that your Son's sword? , something about his tone suggests that Fredrock does not approve of such an elaborately decorated weapon, Do you have any idea where your son and his companion were headed last?
 

twilsemail

Visitor
"It is. He comissioned it through Reeve. The sword is certainly battle worthy, but Reeve had assumed it was to be ceremonial in some way."

He waits for the second question to finish, "I've no idea. I thought we'd gotten this adventuring nonsense out of his head when I got rid of the sword. Obviously neither happened."

"Shod. He's the one putting these thoughts into my boy's head. If you find his corpse, leave it. Maybe that'll sort the boy out."

[sblock=Fredrock & Yishim]You two notice Reeve looking a bit uncomfortable at the mention of the sword being disposed of. Rustavich talks through the opportunity to bring it up that instant, however.[/sblock]
 

Dekana

Visitor
Toeto takes her turn to gaze into the metal bug's face. She shakes her head to reorient herself after the image fades. She was hoping there wouldn't be any solid proof of the boy's death, but the bloody hand dispelled that notion. "I'm sorry." she says as she backs away from the bug.

Master Rustavich said:
"Shod. He's the one putting these thoughts into my boy's head. If you find his corpse, leave it. Maybe that'll sort the boy out."
"Sort him out?" Toeto asks somewhat horrified. But she instantly regrets asking it as she realizes what Rustavich has in mind. She took his request for the body as intending to provide his son with a funeral, but he certainly must be wealthy enough to purchase his son's soul from the underworld.
 

Mewness

Visitor
Scarmiglione sighs, inwardly cursing the burning curiosity that led him here. His reward, a story about a dead son, is not at all what he was hoping for--not at all scandalous, merely rather unpleasant. And now, here he is, stuck on a silly and probably rather disgusting mission to retrieve a corpse. Best to get it over with. "When was the last time you saw your son?" he asks, feigning interest in the topic. "And this metal insect--when did it arrive, and what direction did it come from?"
 

Advertisement

Top