• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Andre Norton passed away

William Ronald

Explorer
May Andre Norton rest in peace, after a long and a good life. I remember reading her novels, including several in the Witch World series and Quag Keep -- which may very well be the first D&D novel. I am pleased that she was still writing, and helping other writers. May Andre Norton's family, friends and fans be comforted in this time of sorrow.

William Ronald

Explorer
I am glad that Andre Norton was still writing at the end, and seems to have been surrounded by family and friends. I was also impressed that she was still helping younger writers. May she rest in peace.

Josh, I knew Andre Norton was old as she has been writing since the 30s or 40s, but still 93 years is a long time to live. We have lost one of the great fantasy and science fiction writers today.

Wombat

First Post
While I was never terribly fond of her novels, I admired her both for her output and her ability to draw others towards the genre. Back in the 60s it was not nearly so hip to like sci fi as it is today. A lot of stores didn't even carry sci fi and fantasy books and when they did they were often tucked away in a corner, in an embarrased sort of way. Despite this, Andre Norton was determined that the genre was worth it and that it could really go somewhere.

So I raise my glass to a determined, active, and very positive lady. May everyone remember her with affection. :)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
:(

Just found out about this elsewhere.

I had just picked up a copy of Witch World from a used bookstore a few weeks ago, having never read it.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I knew that she was ill, but was hoping that she would pull through.

She was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen, and I still read her when I chance upon her books in my boxes of books.

The Auld Grump

Greylock

First Post
Oh damn. This is one of those news stories I missed because of my surgery. This is the first I've heard of her passing. Very sad even though she lived a full life. Andre Norton was hands down my favorite author as a kid and teen. I was sucking up her books faster than those little cartons of milk when I was in elementary school, and I never grew tired of them.

RIP

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads