D&D General Angels and Devils, Birds and Mammals

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is not a complete cosmology, but I hope it will inspire.

So recently I asked myself: Why do angels have bird wings, and devils bat wings? This is a quite consistent depiction in art etc. Why is this, what is going on?

I think I have an answer:

Angels are birds. Devils are mammals

And what are birds? Birds are dinosaurs.

So what are angels - they are survivors of the great meteor impact that destroyed the dinosaurs, millions of years ago. They are a hyper advanced civilization, watching earth from far above in their citadels in the heavens. They have achieved a stable society, that doesn't change and endures millions of years passing.

When mammals became the dominant animal class, the bird-angels became curious, and did some experiments. At some point, they created the devils, as a lark, gave these devils bat wings instead of bird wing.

Humans eventually came to the scene. The angels grew concerned - could they become rivals? And why did they look like wingless devils? The angels started instructing them in "morals". As Nietzsche pointed out, this morality was a "servant" morality, emphasizing obeying authority and humility. Not suitable for leadership. The angels wanted to be sure that the humans remained servile.

The mammal-devils were horrified - they felt kinship with these humans. They wanted to instruct the humans about freedom, self-determination, and did so, messing up the bird-angel's instructions. The bird-angels were offended and cast the traitor devils out of their celestial bases. They also gave stern warnings to humans about not trusting the devil's words - their temptation would lead them to perdition.

I hope this is useful to you. I will add this as a PS. Whom is said to be our secret rulers? Lizard people ;)

Remove ads