• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Angels as template/class

gpetruc

First Post
I was considering a campaign where the main non-evil outsiders would be angels.
Their allineament would vary bewteen good and neutral, and they would be dedicated to something. For example there will be angels of light, angels of fire, but also angels of death, darkness & so on.

I've not finished defining all this, but I'm posting the general ideas hoping to receive some suggestions and critiques from the people here in the messageboards.

To create these creatures I was thinking of a class/template mix:
(I would like these to be fairly balanced with a cleric of equal character level, so that one could have also an angel PC. there would be also RP effects of this, but I still wanted to have solid rules behind)

1) There are some extended domains (such as the allineament ones, elemental ones, healing, light, darkness, death, nature, ...)
Each one has three powers (minor, intermediate and major), and a list of spells.
The number of spells is:
4 spells for each level from 0 to 3
3 spells for each level from 4 to 7
2 spells for level 8, 9

2) An angel starts with the Angel Template (ECL +2, CR +1 or +2), that gives some powers like:
- Alternate form (can appear either as a normal character of his base race, or as a winged humanoid with similar racial traits, of great beauty and usually with some unique traits such as a particular color of the eyes or the skin)
- Fly: 50 ft (normal) when in winged form (light armor/load only. Needs custom armor
- +2 Wis, Cha
- Outsider type (not native; can't be raised)
The angel chooses two extended domains and gains the minor power of that domain

3) Then the angel takes levels in the Angel PrC (that can be taken at level 1, but you must have the Angel template)
The idea is:
10 levels
- HD = d8
- BAB = 3/4
- Saves: Will good
- Skill points: 4 / level
- Spells per day: as druid of the same level. cast spontaneously, based on Charisma
- Spells known: all the spells of the levels they can cast from the lists of the two choosen domains.
- DR = (class level) / +1. (only in winged form)
- proficient in simple weapons, swords
Spells can be cast in both forms, but when casting in human form it has a -2 penalty to effective caster level, -2 to save DCs and loses access to the spells of highest he/she can cast)

4) After level 10 he starts taking levels in Archangel
Similar to Angel except:
- d10
- gains an improvement in Fly speed (70, good)
- gains the intermediate power of the two domains
- planeshift to between home plane and prime 1/day each way (self only). Increases to 3/day at level 4 (and can bring up to one character/ 3 levels)

- DR improves to (class level / +2)

5) After 5 levels of Archangel go Seraph
Similar to angel but
- DR = lvl / +3 ( improves again lvl / + 4 at lvl 5)
- gain the maior power of the domain
- fly speed is now (100, perfect)
- planeshift between the two planes is at will

------------------------------------------------

There would be also:

Half-Angel template (+1 ECL / CR):
- alternate form, but a maximum of 1/day.
- +2 Cha
- choose only one domain, and gain it's lesser power
- Native outsider

Angelic blood (1st level feat for non angelic creatures)
- ?? effects still to choose

---------------

What do you think ?
If someone is interested I will post more details (such as some of the domains I have created)

Remove ads