Animal Breeding

Sludig

First Post
Okay, had a question come up, would Animal Breeding be under Profession, Craft or just under the Handle Animal?

I'm guessing Profession, but that's me.

Little_Buddha

First Post
<backs away from Hyp and his horrific breeding farms>

Profession. Definitely Profession. You don't need to know anything about terrifying frog-like Outsiders from limbo :)

graydoom

First Post
IMO, it would be best modeled at a Profession skill.

Handle Animal seems to me to be too broad, and focused more on controlling already living animals.

Druid Breeding

I think the more interesting question is what happens when a druid wildshapes and then breeds with a then suitable mate. All of his physical stats changed, but his mental stats remain the same. Could not a druid thereby breed a pack of super intelligent wolves? Even if the wolves only wound up with a quarter of his intelligence, they would still be at the minimum twice as smart as the average wolf.

What if a circle of druids continued this process over several generations? You could potentially gain human-like intelligent wolves.

Also, on a different note, what happens if a druid uses the ritual from MotW to increase the HD of both animals in a mating pair? Would their progeny have a tendency to greater HD when fully grown? Couple this breeding method with the above method and you could have a forest lead by super-intelligent and stronger than normal animals.

Of course, if you made the animals smarter than normal, they would no longer be considered animals, but probably beasts, so you would have to breed in the extra HD before the mating process, or else you would not be able to use the ritual on them.

Any thoughts?

(P.S. Not that this druid has tried or specifically intends to try breeding with his animal friends. I believe the phrase is, "It's okay to love your pets. But it's not okay to LOVE your pets."

Awakened animals

Another thought . . .
What happens if you awaken a breeding pair? Does the awakened status breed true? Are offspring not awakened, but smarter? Or are they just normal animals?

I guess it depends on whether the spell changes phenotype or genotype. In favor of some partial residuals on the animal progeny (either by awaken spells or druid wildshape breeding), I point out that sorcerors are rumored to have dragon blood from dragons polymorphing into human and mating.

It seems to me that if it does breed true, then there should be lots of intelligent and talking animals in the world. If it only partially works, then the overall animal intelligence could increase. Perhaps it quickly dilutes if not carefully bred, which in the wild may not happen, but around druid groves does. In this way, druid groves could be surrounded by generations of intelligent talking animals (that sadly are immune to most druid spells as they are now magical beasts).

Just a few further ramblings.

Remove ads