Animated sheild and movement

Dross

Explorer
If you are using an animated shield how far can you move in one round and still receive the bonus? There is no movement rate listed in the Animated property. The power requires the Animate Object spell, which might mean that you could use the default speed for a given size but I would rather have something official.

This has become important because several party members are getting animated shield and ride speed-enhanced horses.

Animated: Upon command, an animated shield floats within 2 feet of the wielder, protecting her as if she were using it herself but freeing up both her hands. Only one shield can protect a character at a time. A character with an animated shield still takes any penalties associated with shield use, such as armour check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, and nonproficiency.

Infiniti2000

First Post
There's no speed restriction.

As a side note, I personally suggest banning animated shields from the campaign. There are many others who share this opinion. :)

Dross

Explorer
Infiniti2000 said:
There's no speed restriction.

As a side note, I personally suggest banning animated shields from the campaign. There are many others who share this opinion. :)

That's what I thought (and feared :D ).

I can see from my Q that it should be considered but i'm not the DM in this instance. I am not one of the PC's that will get the shield so it doesn't affect my PC. The DM has held of on giving the group the sheilds because of this movement problem and i'll be giving his this reconmendation. I just might house rule it out in my game, since several of the PCs are dual or 2 handed weapon uses.

Remove ads