Ankheg armor?

jester47

First Post
Does anyone know if there is a source in WotC 3.x that talks about making armor out of Ankheg shell? Maybe in an FR book somewhere?

Players just killed an ankheg and one wants to take some bits home to turn into cool armor.

Aaron.

Slife

First Post
You could handle it like in Baulder's gate; have some NPC smith do it for them. The price? 8x the amount that he'll pay if the players sell a shell to him. That comes to around 5000 in the computer game, but adjust accordingly for your campaign.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Yea, they're getting the idea from that game. It was decent armor, if I recall. At least in that game.

I'd also allow druids to wear it, since it's natural.

Zustiur

Explorer
The only problem there is that it would be heavy armour - it is plate mail afterall. Therefore yes, it's natural, so the druid wouldn't have their normal aversion to it, but they would still require the heavy armour feat...

Zustiur.

Terwox

First Post
Eh, just an idea:
full or half plate mail, 10% weight increase, masterwork, the shell is worth 500gp and they can subtract that from the price if they're crafting it themself (that sounds funny, pardon,) and it has armor spikes built onto it for free.
You could describe the how the pincers now stick straight up out of the shoulders, etc.
I'd only make it half plate if they don't have anything better by now.
You could also let cost less to do ankheg specific enchantments on the plate -- although I don't know what the heck those would be.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'd say that since you couldn't really make the ankheg plates as form-fitting and well-covering as steel, you could really only make half-plate out of it. I guess you could supplement it with steel plates, chainmail and leather, though.

Rackhir

Explorer
In the game it was full plate mail (ac 1), but about a 1/3 the weight of normal plate (25 vs 70). I think it was also wearable by druids.

kingamy

First Post
Wolf72 said:
I'd go with MW half-plate, half weight, natural armor ... price it around 8,000 gp

I was looking up DRAGONhide armor in the DMG, and dragonhide halfplate is only 1500 gp.

I can't imagine ankheghide armor costing 5 times as much as dragonhide armor. :p

kingamy

p.s. Unless you have non-core economics in your game, of course.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases