• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Cease and Desist Letter: 4E Powercards

dvvega

Explorer
The whole thing about sales and numbers is bogus, really bogus. Because sales are not measured on people walking in and buying but by orders and stock leaving.

If a brick and mortar store orders a bunch of Pathfinder stuff then Paizo has just made sales. The same goes for WoTC. It doesn't matter if that stock sits in the store doing nothing, gaining dust.

So if people want to really discuss sales numbers, WoTC wins on sheer shipping numbers. But if you want to find out actual end of chain sales, then you will have a tough time finding out.

D

drothgery

First Post
Microsoft, one of the, if not the, most influential companies in the world. Windows Vista was forced onto the public and they themselves have abandoned it for Windows 7. Are you going to rant and rave about them as well. Because Bill Gates has "lied" more times than WoTC supposedly has.

A little bit of nitpickery here -- the time between Vista and Win 7 is roughly 'normal' for Windows releases. It's the big gap between XP and Vista that was unusual, and that's largely because XP Service Pack 2 was about the same scale of development effort as a normal release of Windows.

dvvega

Explorer
Time spans aside, the discussion is about "lies" and "evil WoTC". The time span differences between Windows versions does not excuse the promises made by MS nor does it excuse their shooting Vista in the foot and telling it to walk.

The point is that attacking WoTC for undertaking to protect their own property is silly to the utmost.

And all the clamour of "fans" and hurting the "fans" is also silly. Since they're still making sales of their products. Why? Because to use those sites one had to already have had a copy of the WoTC rules. And if you've invested in the books already you are likely to buy more of their product.

Of course in the above statement I am ignoring the "illegal PDFs".

And people should remember that the C&D for Ema's site was for 4E material but he decided to stop the whole thing. It was not WoTC's demand for that, it was Ema's decision.

As for the power cards there is no way anyone can argue in favour of copyrighted material being posted for anyone to grab.

D

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
As for the power cards there is no way anyone can argue in favour of copyrighted material being posted for anyone to grab.

I have been told repeatedly on the internet that if my IP is improved by the fans for the fans, i´d have to suck it up if some site put my IP up for download without my consent. People on the internet tell you all kinds of things.

dvvega

Explorer
@Keefe:

LOL ... actually that is highly inaccurate and a misrepresentation of the actual laws.

The minute you write something that is saleable or marketable (actually anything but you may not honestly care c.f Blogging) you have the copyright to it. If you allow your material to be used all over the net without actively trying to stop its use then it can be argued that you are giving up your copyright to it.

Satire is something you can do without permission. You may make a satire of something and avoid copyright issues. The most recent situation that comes to mind is song parodies.

D

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Becuase part of the problem is scale. What would be successful for Paizo would be a failure for a WOTC product.

If Pathfinder come August, sells say 20K units, its a success. If the MM for 4e sold that many, or even double that, its a failure.

Pathfinder adventure paths was doing well already. If it steady increased since the announcement to release date, it made something doing well to even better.

It would be nice to see some numbers though. But your talking different scales.

I never compared the two. I said that I find it funny how some people question every word from WotC, but accept everything from Paizo at face value.

The whole thing about sales and numbers is bogus, really bogus. Because sales are not measured on people walking in and buying but by orders and stock leaving.

If a brick and mortar store orders a bunch of Pathfinder stuff then Paizo has just made sales. The same goes for WoTC. It doesn't matter if that stock sits in the store doing nothing, gaining dust.

So if people want to really discuss sales numbers, WoTC wins on sheer shipping numbers. But if you want to find out actual end of chain sales, then you will have a tough time finding out.

D
No one is discussing wheter WotC or Paizo has more sales. That's an absurd comparison.

dvvega

Explorer
Neither was I ... I was indicating how sales figures (quoted by many people in a "what if" sense) are a bogus measurement of success/failure. Many posters comachu for example, have been making "what if" statements using sales figures as proof.

D

Jack99

Adventurer
Neither was I ... I was indicating how sales figures (quoted by many people in a "what if" sense) are a bogus measurement of success/failure. Many posters comachu for example, have been making "what if" statements using sales figures as proof.

D

Fair enough mate, I guess I misunderstood your post. No harm I hope.

dvvega

Explorer
if you are in a forum and you take offence to people if they misunderstand you really should be there :)

So yeah no harm done. Except that if you ever misunderstand me again ... why I'll ... grrr

D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads