• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Dragon #300 thread - kill the tie-ins

SemperJase

First Post
Wait, don't hit that lock thread button.
This isn't about ethics or morality of 'vile' content.

What I'm thinking now is that issue #300 should have been a landmark issue. Thinking back to issue #200 it seemed more of a big deal that they hit that issue.

Now with 300 they have one article about the evolution of the magazine, then devote the rest of it to a product tie-in.

Instead of the heavy product tie-in, why didn't the publisher go with a more general overview? Get a big name fiction writer to do a short story. A guest article by some big names: Cook, Greenwood, even Hickman!

So we get a crummy product tie-in for 75% of the mag. Aim higher, don't go for an issue that will be irrelevant when the next product comes out, but one that will be looked at as a standard for the next 100 issues.

Wait, oh no. What if that IS the standard for the next 100 issues?

Last edited:

rackabello

First Post
Don't have Dragon 300 yet, so I can't judge its merits. From what I've read about its contents, it certainly sounds like the product tie-in made it a less memorable centenary issue than 100 & 200.

However, I think it's the reliance on themed issues that is at fault more than the product tie-ins. If less of the magazine was taken up by thematic articles there'd be a much greater chance of finding useful material each month. The depth of coverage is wonderful when a theme fires your imagination or dovetails with your campaign, but I'm not convinced it outweighs the disappointment when a theme fails to connect. When the theme relates to a product you aren't interested in, the problem is exacerbated.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I agree that issue 300 should have been more of an event - forego the tie-in articles, expand the page count, and try to give us a taste of what is to come. I have to admit disappointment in this issue, which should have been so much more.

ThomasBJJ

First Post
I think my mailman was offended by the vile-content, because he saw fit to not deliver it until yesterday, and he wadded it into a ball first. So much for the "special collectors issue".

Bendris Noulg

First Post
rackabello said:
However, I think it's the reliance on themed issues that is at fault more than the product tie-ins. If less of the magazine was taken up by thematic articles there'd be a much greater chance of finding useful material each month. The depth of coverage is wonderful when a theme fires your imagination or dovetails with your campaign, but I'm not convinced it outweighs the disappointment when a theme fails to connect.
I'd say this is only partially true; Over the years (going back to issue 59, plus the Archive and a few GenCon purchases to get my favorites), I've found myself able to return to the issues later, either for another campaign or in order to put together a special adventure that's quite divergent from a current campaign's general themes.

Except for the April issues; Some of those are just useless.;)

ThomasBJJ said:
I think my mailman was offended by the vile-content, because he saw fit to not deliver it until yesterday, and he wadded it into a ball first. So much for the "special collectors issue".
Ouch.:(

JeffB

Legend
SemperJase said:
Wait, don't hit that lock thread button.
This isn't about ethics or morality of 'vile' content.

What I'm thinking now is that issue #300 should have been a landmark issue. Thinking back to issue #200 it seemed more of a big deal that they hit that issue.

Now with 300 they have one article about the evolution of the magazine, then devote the rest of it to a product tie-in.

Instead of the heavy product tie-in, why didn't the publisher go with a more general overview? Get a big name fiction writer to do a short story. A guest article by some big names: Cook, Greenwood, even Hickman!

So we get a crummy product tie-in for 75% of the mag. Aim higher, don't go for an issue that will be irrelevant when the next product comes out, but one that will be looked at as a standard for the next 100 issues.

Wait, oh no. What if that IS the standard for the next 100 issues?

Amen!

(since I've typed my A off about the very same things you are saying here in other #300 threads, I don't feel the need to elaborate :D )

Tuerny

First Post
ThomasBJJ said:

Yeah, when I got mine it was all beat up as well...

The front pages are barely hanging onto the spine now.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Bendris Noulg said:

Except for the April issues; Some of those are just useless.;)

Oh, I dunno...my favorite article ever was the "Random Damage Table." With entries like "Roll every die you own for damage," "Roll every die within ten feet for damage," "Your character smells smoke; his left arm is on fire. Roll 6d6 damage," and my personal fave...

"Your character cuts himself shaving. Roll 10d10 damage and consult limb-loss subtable."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads