• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Town Generator. Still....

GregoryTechSoft

First Post
Further from an old thread "Town-and-Village-Generator" and thanks to user "towngen"....

Five years and three months later, ... ahem. Has it really been so long?? Anyway ... I'll pick up where I left off. I had once started a project based (partly) upon Walter Reibsch's source code, but left it setting for too long.

Still tinkering around with my adaptation of Walter's source and the results of John J Kroetch's ADnD TownGen applet; I'm creating some interesting JavaFX (FXML) layouts which can be beautifully styled with a little CSS. I've also been working with reading the runtime data from JJK's applet, and I believe I've just about got the whole binary format figured out (a-k-a, "reverse engineered", thanks to using Hexinator on the binary files), so I only need to create the classes to read the data into a Java input stream.

Also, I see a point at which, once the capability to reliably generate individual towns or villages exists, then why not wrap it all together into a more complex kingdom or world generator? (If there weren't already enough such applets out there.) Just need to know things, aside from what "nationally-affects-locally" or vice-versa, which types of kingdom-level or world-level data would also need to be maintained in a gaming project.

Finally, since I believe in keeping things open-source, the source code will ultimately be kept in a public repository, for those people so interested in either supporting the project or forking it for their own purposes, which is, I believe, what Walter originally intended with giving out the source for the project in the first place.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying, is ... I've been absent from enworld for quite some time, not that anyone would remember me from most of a decade ago, and that my tabletop/pen-and-paper roleplaying tends more to the Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying Game System; but my above project is meant to be open enough for medieval or futuristic generation, within limits -- so, I'm not entirely sure what's currently being used for generating and maintaining game communities/locations/nations/worlds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads