D&D 5E Antilife Shell Rulings

I need some help interpreting the text of antilife shell.

1 - "A shimmering barrier extends out from you in a 10-foot radius and moves with you, remaining centered on you and hedging out creatures other than undead and constructs."

Does "hedging out" mean that creatures next to you get pushed away? Including allies? I think if the intent was for the spell to push creatures away, it would have said that and explained where they get pushed to.

2 - "If you move so that an affected creature is forced to pass through the barrier, the spell ends."

Does "forced to pass through" mean any time the barrier goes through a creature's space? Or does the shell actually continued "hedging out" creatures, essentially pushing them around, unless they can't be moved (like against a wall) and then the spell ends?

My interpretation of this spell would be that the shell only protects the caster. If there's any creature (other than the exclusions) within the area, then the "forced to pass through" disclaimer kicks in to end the spell. In addition, I don't think it pushes people around the battlefield. I think that the spell ends if it goes through a creature's space at all. Basically, this spell is for a caster that wants to be safe while casting spells in the middle of a close battle, but they need to make sure they are alone before casting.

I think if the spell intended to "push" creatures around, it would say that.

But I could be wrong.

What say you?

I think the hedging out creatures is supposed to push them out of the area. It could definitely be more clear, but I can't think of another way to interpret "hedging out." If it doesn't push creatures away at the time of casting, I don't know what hedging out creatures is supposed to mean. Though I would gladly hear any other explanation that I haven't thought of.
But once the spell is cast, it clearly cannot be used to push people around the battlefield. The spell is clear that if you move so that the barrier passes through a living creature, it ends.

If it doesn't push creatures away at the time of casting, I don't know what hedging out creatures is supposed to mean. Though I would gladly hear any other explanation that I haven't thought of.

My thinking is that "hedging out" refers to what happens once the spell has been successfully cast. If a creature is within the 10', then the spell isn't cast.

But I'm not sure. I would think that something as important as the spell causing a push would have been in the text and it doesn't tell you where they get pushed to.

Oofta

Legend
Good question, not sure I have a good answer. The way I would rule it is that the spell would simply fail based on "If you move so that an affected creature is forced to pass through the barrier, the spell ends "

The intent doesn't seem to allow for any kind of push, when the spell does push such as Wall of Force it says so explicitly.

Remove ads