D&D 5E Any authors you think should be in Appendix E but are not?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Having glanced over the list of authors in 5e's Appendix E I can think of two more I'd like to see there, for different reasons:

Eddings, David - the Belgariad series - for a lighter take on the fantasy genre, with a sense of humour apparent among the serious stuff. This is important, as from 1st to 4th each new edition seemed to want to take itself more seriously.

Kurtz, Katherine - the Deryni series - for a very good approach to how psionics might work as a replacement for arcane magic.

Anyone else got any to add?

Lanefan

Perun

Mushroom
Having glanced over the list of authors in 5e's Appendix E I can think of two more I'd like to see there, for different reasons:

Eddings, David - the Belgariad series - for a lighter take on the fantasy genre, with a sense of humour apparent among the serious stuff. This is important, as from 1st to 4th each new edition seemed to want to take itself more seriously.

Kurtz, Katherine - the Deryni series - for a very good approach to how psionics might work as a replacement for arcane magic.

Lanefan

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, a brilliant 10-book series.

Regards.

drjones

Explorer
They got Pat Rothfuss and (I think, going by memory) Joe Abercrombie the two most 'D&D influenced' recent authors who you can tell both probably DMd a really good game once upon a time. So I'm good.

Dausuul

Legend
Barbara Hambly: Pretty much any of her fantasy novels. I'd put the "Sun Wolf and Starhawk" books ("The Ladies of Mandrigyn," "The Witches of Wenshar," and "The Dark Hand of Magic") at the top, but "The Windrose Chronicles" ("The Silent Tower," "The Silicon Mage", "Dog Wizard") are also excellent, and she's got a ton of others. For my money, Barbara Hambly is better at fantasy world-building than pretty much anyone else out there.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
And tragically, they included RA Salvatore :p

I'd imagine it would be hard not to include someone who's books have become iconic representations of D&D for so many people who were teenagers when the first Drizzt novels came out. Some of those folks are game designers now, so I can see how it would rank. Much like how the Dragonlance Chronicles sit up on the list as well - they're classics of the game fiction genre now, no matter what you might think of them as literature. I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't include Gygax's Gord books in there - they're not high literature, and they certainly aren't to everyone's tastes, but I would think they'd rank.

CL Moore's Jirel of Joiry stories would be included in my list. I'd probably put Jim Butcher's Dresden books on there as well, though the influence right now goes the other way in that case :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I was surprised they put on Elizabeth Moon, but not for Deed of Paksenarrion, which is probably the best fictional representation of a paladin ever.

The inestimable Ari Marmell, of course.

Boarstorm

First Post
I haven't damaged my eyes squinting at the image, but is Jim Butcher on there? Even if the Dresden Files doesn't make the cut, the Codex Alera probably should, IMO.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

Lanefan

Those are both good ones.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, a brilliant 10-book series.

Regards.

Those too.

Remove ads