Any Christian rpgs?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I know of several evangelical youth groups that play 5th Edition D&D from a Christian perspective, as-is. Real-world religion is as integral to the game as you want/need it to be.

That said, back in the day there was a D&D campaign called "Testament," published by Green Ronin, that took place in the world as-described in Biblical times, particularly the Old Testament. Here's a link. I remember that it was a quality product, and was very nicely done. It was written for D&D 3rd Edition, and I don't think it has been updated to 3.5E, 4E, or 5E.
1686863744708.png

More recently, Red Panda Games published the "Adventurer's Guide to the Bible," through their successful Kickstarter. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but here's a link for it as well. It is written for the D&D 5th Edition rules set.
1686863725495.png

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Well, if you can understand Swedish, then you have the following:

• Quo Vadis?
  • Ansgar
  • Vägen

All three were published by a diocese here in Sweden, and they use(d) them in their confirmation-educations. Haven't ever seen them so no idea about wether or not they were good (mechanics-wise). But given that they were all written in the early 90s if I recall correctly, they probably feel quite dated. I have the 4rth game (Tellus) that they did, and that was a stand-alone SF-game with no links to religion as such if I recall. Let's just say that mechanics-wise it is a child of it's time...

edit: I have no idea wether or not they are still in print. They were made by "Västerås stift"
According to Swedish Wikipedia, they also did a game called Sägen , and one called "Reformator"

Here's a link: sadly only in Swedish, but you can run it through google translate if needed. Rollspel utgivna av Västerås stift – Wikipedia

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dragon Raid is playable; the magic system requires quoting suitable biblical passages...

I came here to mention DragonRaid, having reviewed it in the somewhat distant past. The current rights holder had been selling NOS (new old stock) copies of the original game, but appear to have blown through that inventory recently. There are, supposedly, plans for a new edition to be published in the near future.

Voadam

Legend
Pendragon (and Paladin) with christian knightly virtues baked into the system comes to mind as well. In different editions and sourcebooks there are pagan options and saracen options but the base is christian knights.

Most any RPG based on somewhat real world stuff where there is Christianity could fit. Ars Magica (magical medieval Europe), Vampire the Masquerade (huge importance of the biblical story of Caine), etc.

Staffan

Legend
Pendragon (and Paladin) with christian knightly virtues baked into the system comes to mind as well. In different editions and sourcebooks there are pagan options and saracen options but the base is christian knights.

Most any RPG based on somewhat real world stuff where there is Christianity could fit. Ars Magica (magical medieval Europe), Vampire the Masquerade (huge importance of the biblical story of Caine), etc.
Ars Magica is kind of anti-Christian, though. Not in the sense of being satanic, but in the sense of being written from the perspective of the Order of Hermes to which the Church is fairly hostile, and because magi have trouble dealing with the Divine. Areas heavy in divine power give penalties to using worldly magic, and someone with True Faith can use it to resist and dispel worldly magic.

So it's not so much that the magi are opposed to the Church, as it is the Church being opposed to them, and having the best tools with which to deal with them should they be pushed in that direction.

Voadam

Legend
Ars Magica is kind of anti-Christian, though. Not in the sense of being satanic, but in the sense of being written from the perspective of the Order of Hermes to which the Church is fairly hostile, and because magi have trouble dealing with the Divine. Areas heavy in divine power give penalties to using worldly magic, and someone with True Faith can use it to resist and dispel worldly magic.

So it's not so much that the magi are opposed to the Church, as it is the Church being opposed to them, and having the best tools with which to deal with them should they be pushed in that direction.
I would not say that makes it anti-christian. I would only really classify something as anti-christian if it specifically demonized Christianity.

Ars Magica is set in a very christian setting with a divinely powered christian church.

And while the default PCs are mages in a world where the church is a competing power, there are things like the sourcebook Realms of Power: Divine to provide a framework for having magi who are christians with true faith.

Vampire the Masquerade is another where people with true faith are generally threats to the default PC vampires, but the setting is based in large part on the Biblical accounts of God cursing Caine, PCs are as likely to be Christians dealing with the turned into a vampire situation as people in the real world are likely to be christian, and there are even options for vampires with true faith.

Remove ads