Any idea about what's happening at the Obsidian Portal?

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask this very general question, but since the community forums at the OP itself are full of the same question, I figured I'd ask it here, too.

Since the OP's KS-supported 'Reforging' a few years ago their responsiveness to problems and requests has slowed to a crawl, and on many topics has simply stopped. They're also years behind on delivering promised goals from the Kickstarter. And now the site's been slowing down, loading error pages, and basically not performing well, and there's been no response at all from the folks who run it.

I've used it extensively for years, and have been very disappointed at how the KS was handled and how many problems were created, it seemed, by that process, and then never fixed. I am also hopeful that these will be resolved so I can go on using the system.

If anyone has any information - not speculation...there's been enough of that - I'd appreciate you sharing it.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I've downloaded them all, actually. One big problem with the export function is that the product - so far as I can tell - lacks the comments on the Adventure Log posts, which really guts the story because it only retains the text of the post itself. it's better than nothing, but it's something.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
@lyle,

For forums and adventure log backups, all I do is highlight the page with my curser and copy paste into a word doc. Believe it or not.

Its a little messy, but it works.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
@lyle,

For forums and adventure log backups, all I do is highlight the page with my curser and copy paste into a word doc. Believe it or not.

Its a little messy, but it works.

Yep - did that, too. In fact, the largest/longest of our campaigns ended up producing, after I removed all the images (including PC avatars), a 482-page Word document. That includes all the Adventure Log posts, all the Player Secrets, and all the comments.

Meliath1742

First Post
I've noticed the slow response of the website doing anything. We actually thought it was down the other night it was so slow. Eventually it responded...but somethings definitely not right. Like no ones at the helm...

The Obsidian Portal site has been going through a transition. On their blog they announced that the site had been bought by another company. I take this as a positive sign, because we've been seeing improvements since that happened two months ago.

However, they apparently encountered some hardware issues last week. According to their twitter account, it was a server thing that they're still working to fix. I found that yesterday the site was smooth as silk, but last night it started acting wonky again. I'm pretty sure it's not anything to get worked up over; they're not the best at communicating, but they are addressing the problems.

Edited to add: Posted today - "We are still experiencing server issues with our job queues today. Timeouts are less frequent but still an issue. We are working hard to fix"

Last edited:

Remove ads