D&D 5E Any of these Feat changes look too good?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Heavy Armor Master - I like this, but part of the feat not being taken that it doesn't scale well. I'd either change the about blocked to the proficiency bonus, or have magic armor plus (if any) add to the reduction. Also, with what you have written would you allow magic armor or a magic shield to enable blocking magical B/P/S damage?

Hmm... bumping up the DR by the bonus of the armor is an interesting idea. That makes sense that strong armor should be able to help your DR more. Personally, I'd be more comfortable with this than using proficiency bonus. I'll add that to the (growing) list of discussion points.

The way it is written (it specifies armor), shields won't help it or work with it.

Inspiring Leader - this feat is nice already. I see people shy away from it not because of power level, but because other feats boost their character a good deal, and this instead boosts the whole party a bit. At low levels where the choice is an ASI or a feat, taking a feat that doesn't boost your character the same as other feats is often not seen as desirable vs. an ASI. It is of good power level though.

Do you think adding the CHA +1 is too much, though? Others seem to think it makes it too strong.

Mounted Combat - I'd give a static damage bonus. Double is not a 5e paradyme, could be abused, and favors certain weapon types over others.

Well, how about once per turn when you "charge" you can add your proficiency bonus to damage? It isn't nearly as big a bump at lower levels, and depending on the weapon about the same at higher levels.

Sharp Shooter - this is considered one of the top tier feats already. It does not need a power boost.

LOL people seem to be missing the "nerf" part of my write-up. Even with the new benefit, you can only use one of them per attack (did you miss that??), so compared to RAW it is actually a bit of a nerf to the feat, which I agree is too strong RAW.

Weapon Master - because someone who already has access to all martial weapons already gets less from this so is less likely to have it. So fighters and the like are less likely to be weapon masters. It may be interesting to give them something else as well, only for those already with full martial proficiency.

Yeah, Weapon Master is a weird feat. The name implies something martials should want, but RAW all martials get is a ASI to STR or DEX because they already have proficiency in weapons and learning "four weapons" sucks.

At least with the changes martials can get the extra +1 to attacks... but it is a bit boring and not really "masterful" IMO either. It might be back to the drawing board with it. :(

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Possible suggestion.

1) +1 Cha.
2) A target can only benefit from this once until they take a long rest.

Nerfs it, but lets you decide to save it for high leverage situations if needed. (Like taking a short rest while prepping an ambush.)
Yep, that was the #2 option in the post you quoted. I think it might be the CHA +1/ one use per long rest OR staying with the RAW version. We'll see.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yep, that was the #2 option in the post you quoted. I think it might be the CHA +1/ one use per long rest OR staying with the RAW version. We'll see.
Huh, you're right. I thought it was one use per short rest by the character with the feat, not the target.

Man, getting old sucks. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Man, getting old sucks. :)
Yep... I am looking at number 47 next month... oi. :(

Fortunately for me, most people think I am still in my early to mid 30's. I have my mom to thank for those good genetics LOL! She is going to be 75 in November and has only a few gray hairs at all (most people think she is in her 50's).

Remove ads