D&D 5E Any of these Feat changes look too good?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, the title says it all. Do you think any of these adjustments to the feats in the PHB make them too good or powerful?

1600714468638.png

Most of these feats see very little use in our game and many of them seem weak to us, so these are our proposals.

I'm worried a couple might be too strong now. Thoughts?

Stalker0

Legend
Well, the title says it all. Do you think any of these adjustments to the feats in the PHB make them too good or powerful?

View attachment 126535
Most of these feats see very little use in our game and many of them seem weak to us, so these are our proposals.

I'm worried a couple might be too strong now. Thoughts?

Charger: Fine

Defensive Duelist: You may want to add back in something about one handed weapons. Otherwise you can parry with a greatsword, not sure if that is your intention.

Dungeon Delver: Fine. Its a good feat if your playing a heavy trap game, but if you aren't it just too rarely comes up. I think a little wisdom on top makes sense.

Durable: Fine, doesn't fix the feat though. Toughness just does the general job of this feat, I just think this feat can die in a fire.

Elemental Adapt: I don't think the power is that bad because immunities are rare. That said, I think the flavor is wonky, but if its cool in your group than go for it.

Heavy Armor Mastery: I use this too, makes this feat actually useful.

Inspiring Leader: Too much, the feat is just fine on its own, quite strong in fact.

Keen Mind: Still a bad feat even with the change.

Martial Adept: Probably fine. Its a solid feat for even a battlemaster to take, but I don't think it puts it in the "OMG I want it category"

Mounted Combatant: I don't think the core feat is bad, its just that most of the time horses are too difficult to fit into many adventuring scenarios. But I do think this is too much.

Ritual Caster: So are you saying get 2 rituals from 1 class, and then any new rituals you come across are from any class? Honestly should be fine, I don't think any ritual spells in the game are so strong that their combination would cause problems.

Savage Attacker: Fine

Weapon Master: So you have some skewed flavor here. On the one hand, I am now proficient in all of these weapons. But I will never ever ever use them, because I get a +1 on one specific weapon. Otherwise its probably fine, it will be a popular feat, just because there are so few ways to get attack bonuses after your stat is maxed, but for a feat it seems fine.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Mounted Combat is already a really strong feat when you can use it; making it even stronger is likely to cause the problem to get bigger.
I suppose I should say we find it "useful" RAW more than strong.

This was a general weapon rule for lance, which we moved under Mounted Combatant. In case the text isn't clear, only weapon damage is double (no smites or anything).

But your post is noted in my file for discussion--maybe we'll move the idea back to only being part of the lance instead.

Thanks. :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Defensive Duelist: You may want to add back in something about one handed weapons. Otherwise you can parry with a greatsword, not sure if that is your intention.
Being able to use it with a two-handed (or more versatile, really) was intended. Perhaps instead of just removing the finesse property, it would be better to specify the weapon cannot have the heavy property??? So, a quarterstaff would be ok, but not a greatsword? :unsure:

Inspiring Leader: Too much, the feat is just fine on its own, quite strong in fact.
Yeah... we've gone back and forth on this one. We were looking for something that would allow a CHA ASI. Maybe if we reduced the temp HP feature to only a long rest but kept the CHA +1?

Keen Mind: Still a bad feat even with the change.
LOL we've actually had three PCs take this feat. 🤷‍♂️

Mounted Combatant: I don't think the core feat is bad, its just that most of the time horses are too difficult to fit into many adventuring scenarios. But I do think this is too much.
Noted along with @jmartkdr2's comment.

Ritual Caster: So are you saying get 2 rituals from 1 class, and then any new rituals you come across are from any class?
Yes. I've checked all the ritual spells in the books we have. None of them are crazy even if a PC found them all. Also, none use spell attacks or require a save DC calculation, so it becomes immaterial what spellcasting ability is tied to it.

Thanks for your input! :)

I suppose I should say we find it "useful" RAW more than strong.

This was a general weapon rule for lance, which we moved under Mounted Combatant. In case the text isn't clear, only weapon damage is double (no smites or anything).

But your post is noted in my file for discussion--maybe we'll move the idea back to only being part of the lance instead.

Thanks. :)
If players aren't taking Mounted Combat, it's probably because they don't fight on horses often enough to justify a feat to get better at it.

While Inspiring Leader and Mounted Combatant do gain with these, Sharp Shooter gets a significant nerf: you can only use one of its features on an attack, not all of them.

Ah...I understood your intent differently. I thought you mean to say that it could only remove disadvantage from one source: wind or darkness, but not both, for example.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Other than Lucky, GWM, SS, PAM, XBE, and maybe Inspiring Leader, you could make every other feat in the game a half-feat and it would be fine.

Remove ads