WOIN Any tips for beginners to WOIN?

Sethmokami

Villager
Heya! I just discovered WOIN, and I'm intrigued by its approach to a universal system. Is there anything I should know before playing/GMing it?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Dang that’s a broad question! I‘ll kick things off with “buy some d6s”! :)

Joking aside though, if you have specific questions, shoot!

Sethmokami

Villager
Dang that’s a broad question! I‘ll kick things off with “buy some d6s”! :)

Joking aside though, if you have specific questions, shoot!
Oh, I've got plenty of those already! My Dad was an avid Shadowrun player back in the day, so I've got lots of d6s in reserves.
In all seriousness, though, I am wondering if the game can be played online (outside of a PbP format) and which of the game's three settings would be easier for newbies to get into. Sadly, it looks like Roll20 doesn't have anything for the system, but if maps aren't really necessary then that shouldn't be an issue.
Edit: Okay good! It looks like WOIN is on Fantasy Grounds. That solves one problem.

Last edited:

easl

Explorer
Absolutely it can be played online. For an example (it's a couple years old now, I think), look up 'GM of Doom wacksteven' on Twitch. He ran both a NEW and OLD campaign using the system livestreamed over Twitch.
There may be newer stuff too, but that's the one I remember.

dekrass

Explorer
Which one is easier for new players is subjective. I'd say it depends on the options included.
Magic from OLD is more complex than psionics from NEW, and I think martial arts and chi from NOW is a little simpler than the psionics. Each of those can be played without those options, though. Without those they all kind of even out in complexity. All of them have the same core.

Tormyr

Hero
Oh, I've got plenty of those already! My Dad was an avid Shadowrun player back in the day, so I've got lots of d6s in reserves.
In all seriousness, though, I am wondering if the game can be played online (outside of a PbP format) and which of the game's three settings would be easier for newbies to get into. Sadly, it looks like Roll20 doesn't have anything for the system, but if maps aren't really necessary then that shouldn't be an issue.
Edit: Okay good! It looks like WOIN is on Fantasy Grounds. That solves one problem.
Roll20 does have a character sheet that you can select when creating a game, but there are not yet any adventures.

Remove ads