• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any tips for DMing PHB2 release day adventure?

Smeelbo

First Post
I will be running the PHB2 release Game Day adventure at Adventures in Comics and Games in Carmichael, CA, on Saturday March 21st, 2009.

I have not yet received the event kit, and have not been paying much attention to the preview material for PHB2. I am wondering if anyone has some tips or suggestions for making it a better experience.

I want to sell as many PHB2's as I can, so if you've played any of the PHB2 material, can you recommend anything to emphasize to the players? Specific cool classes or abilities that really stand out, fun-wise? I know about Expertise, and that is the quick sell, but what about the rest of the book?

Also, the adventure is 11th level, low paragon, which I've neither played nor DMed for 4E. So far, all I've played with 4E is early heroic (heroic is my favorite part of the game). Any advice for DMing low paragon as compared to low heroic?

I would appreciate any tips on making the new classes stand out to the players.

Smeelbo

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I find that the Paragon tier runs much the same as heroic.

the only real difference is the number of magic item powers you can use and you get some paragon path powers.

you shouldn't have any difficulty with the paragon tier other than the new classes are unfamiliar.

Smeelbo

First Post
Yes, I had read that link, and here's the meat:
PHB2 Release Game Day: said:
The adventure, entitled One Dark Night in Weeping Briar, runs in 2-3 hours and includes five pregenerated 11th-level characters. The characters are:
  • Ilvarra, drow avenger
  • Markaria, tiefling invoker
  • Roswyn, gnome bard
  • Squeaks, warforged barbarian
  • Balasar, dragonborn paladin (uses material from the upcoming Divine Power product)
What I am looking for are good ways to showcase the characters, and anything I should know about DMing paragon.

The magic item tip is useful, I assume the pregens will be equiped with about 5 items each. I'll probably need to count Daily Item uses (2/day at paragon, plus 1 per milestone I think), as I find players often conveniently forget to keep track of such limits.

Hopefully I'll get the kit soon, and can prepare.

Smeelbo

fba827

Adventurer
yeah, between heoric and paragon, not much is different other than... numbers are a little bigger, a few more things you can do (and a few more things that are "fair game" to be done to you).

As far as showcasing the characters -- the three big things about the book are basically new races, new classes, and new feats. And of that, the races and classes will be bigger selling points. When describing classes to people (my personal preference) is not to mention "roles" in the first sentence but describe the general flavor/gimmick. "The avenger is a divine servant, seeking out his enemies and binding himself by oath against certain targets in order to gain benefits to kick their (butts)..." and then after that, can say "divine striker" if they still aren't getting it.

Also, for phb2 - the main "new" game mechanic is the summoning keyword. So that's also a highlight to mention (for the invoker) - so be prepared to know it yourself and to explain it when game day arrives ... presuming the powers chosen for the pregen actually have a summon.

Other than that, it is generating interest based on nastaligia from previous editions... "if you liked bards and druids from before, now you can play them in 4e and see how your favorite class has evolved." and so on... (i doubt many people distinctly recall "that favorite power strike feat they had in 3.x" but they will be more likley to recall "that favorite (class/race/character) from previous editions."

Rechan

Adventurer
Assuming they went with the Rageblood build for the Barb, expect the Barbarian to tear things apart. He is all about charging, and doing massive damage. So give him opportunities to charge (instead of blocking him). Also, several things happen for the barbarian on crits. However, the Barbarian is also a glass cannon; he is a melee striker who is going to take a lot of punishment because he is going to look like a big, nasty threat.

An interesting quirk about the Invoker is that the invoker has area affects which hurt enemies but help allies (similar to the 1st level Cleric power "Divine Glow"). So, offer an opportunity or two where the enemies and the PCs are in a nice little burst.

The Bard is not much different than a laser cleric, except that he can shift allies a bit more.

My only tip for the paladin is that, regardless of who the paladin Challenges, I'd have that target attack the toher PCs. That way, the Paladin's mark zings them for damage.

As far as the Avenger is concerned, they revolve around picking one guy, dragging him away from the combat, and duking it out with him, mono-e-monster. So I would emphasize that to the player; they are a God-empowered John Wayne.

I can't think of anything else, not having seen the adventure or the classes/builds.

Jack99

Adventurer
I would say: Do not hold back, unless you are playing with completely new people (to 4e). There is a noticable power jump around level 11-12 in terms of what characters can do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads