Any Way to Change Username?

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
This is possibly a dumb question. On other gaming message boards my username is AlHazred. When I joined ENWorld, that username was taken, so I used the name of a character from the story I was reading at the time. I recently checked, and realized the user with the above username hasn't been on ENWorld for 15 years. At what point does the username become available for other users to use, if ever? If it is available, is there a method for requesting a username change?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You can totally change your account name yourself...

In the top navigation bar, you have "Home, Community.... stuff ... Chat/Discord, Podcast..." and then your name and user icon.
Click on your name.
That will open a menu.
Click on "Account Details" in that menu.
The first thing in your account details should be your username, with a big button that says "Change".

Your proposed change will be put in a queue, and one of use will authorize or reject the change.

We do not have a process or policy in place for you to take a username taken by another account, even if that account is inactive.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Yep, I knew it was a dumb question!

Thank you very much! I had never noticed that button!

We do not have a process or policy in place for you to take a username taken by another account, even if that account is inactive.
I guess I will wait and see if any such policy or process is put into place in the future. Thank you very much!

CapnZapp

Legend
I recently checked, and realized the user with the above username hasn't been on ENWorld for 15 years. At what point does the username become available for other users to use, if ever?

Maybe obvious to everybody else, but just to simplify...

The answer is no. You won't ever be able to take another user's name, unless ENWorld decides to chuck their entire user database, start from scratch, and require everyone to re-register their account.

(Not saying this is likely. In fact, it's highly unlikely, and would only happen if the site suffers some kind of catastrophic data loss or corruption. Hence me - a totally random user - simplifying your answer down to the one word it means in practice: no)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe obvious to everybody else, but just to simplify...

Hey, @CapnZapp ? I understand you are trying to help, but could you please not interject your own answers "clarifying" staff who have not asked you to do so? It doesn't help as much as you might think.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases