Anyone crafting during the shutdown?

Richards

Legend
Do you have any that you're able to show?
Not really. The paper size I use is 11" by 14" and my scanner is only 8.5" by 11" - so while I do keep scans of each caricature I make for my own reference, they're each only a partial scan. And I'm a pretty low-tech guy, so my phone doesn't have a camera or anything - I just need it to make and receive phone calls. (I don't even text! Yeah, I'm old.)

And on top of everything else, the caricatures aren't of anyone famous of anything so they'd not only be unrecognizable to anyone who didn't know the subject of the picture but the backgrounds are filled with in-jokes that wouldn't make a lot of sense unless you knew the story behind them.

Generally, though, I (with very few exceptions) do the caricatures in the "big head" style (so you can tell it's not meant to be taken seriously), although I try for an accurate representation of the person's features; I don't exaggerate the size of noses or ears or anything, as the goal isn't to make fun of the person being drawn. It's just a personal memento of the time they spent in that job before being transferred elsewhere in the Air Force.

Johnathan

Mad_Jack

Legend
I run a box-making machine at work, that counts as crafting, right? lol

Being an "essential" worker, I don't have any more spare time these days than before the coronapocalyse, so most of my "crafting" lately has been virtual - I've been doing a bit of photoshop-type stuff, mostly relating to the virus.

But I have gotten back into my old habit of creating ephemeral art out of "found" materials... Twisting little animals out of bits of tin foil, using the hot glue from my machine to solder together chunks of dried glue into abstract sculptures of people, napkin origami, all sorts of little creative things to keep my hands busy. Working in a factory warehouse, I have unlimited access to tiny bits of splintered wood from wrecked pallets, so sometimes I whittle little things as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For a lot of reasons, I haven’t touched a guitar in 18 or so months,

Tonight, I did. I played on and off mor a couple hours. I had forgotten several things. I was rusty as all hell. It was frustrating. My fingers hurt.

But as I struggled finding the chords to this piece or that, it was all welcome.

Ryujin

Legend
For a lot of reasons, I haven’t touched a guitar in 18 or so months,

Tonight, I did. I played on and off mor a couple hours. I had forgotten several things. I was rusty as all hell. It was frustrating. My fingers hurt.

But as I struggled finding the chords to this piece or that, it was all welcome.

It's much like that for me, with leatherworking. I dabbled a bit, more than 30 years ago, and still have a rather basic 6 arrow quiver that I made back then. It might get a rework and some tooling on the leather, once I feel up to it. The next project, however, will be a leather chest harness that will be going off to a CosPlayer, actress, burlesque performer, and sometime Disney Princess of my acquaintance.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Like the title says. I've been doing a bit of leatherwork and also made a chainmail pot scrubber for a friend. Just wondering what everyone else might be up to.

Oh, that kind of leatherwork.

I've been getting fit. Although biking and running in a mask is weird, even if its necessary.

Also joined this forum. Good times.

aco175

Legend
I would like to go and work on my golf game, but my state is the last one that believes we cannot handle things without the oversight.

Ryujin

Legend
OK, so it holds an strange number of arrows but that's how many still usable arrows I've got, so it works for me. I cut the pieces for this a couple of years back but didn't assemble it, because it's supposed to be an insert for a sword/bow stand that I haven't figured out yet. Since I'm cleaning things up, I figured I'd work on it.

Attachments

• Q5072208.JPG
    Q5072208.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 95

Mad_Jack

Legend
Y'know, I really should get around to building that oversized shadowbox I was planning - I've got expensive vintage minis covering literally every flat surface in my half of the basement, and I really really need to get them organized and put away someplace safe.

Janx

Hero
I made a Jedi belt for the wife's cosplay
ETHj6efX0AE60vh

a leather steampunk-ish face mask with changeable filter system
EWTu7hlWoAAoPCe

Due to leaks:
repiped my kitchen (including removing hot water heater and re-installing)
repiped the master bath sinks
rebuilt and painted the adjoining master bedroom wall

plus written a few chapters in the novel

and working full time + unpaid overtime

Ryujin

Legend
I made a Jedi belt for the wife's cosplay
ETHj6efX0AE60vh

a leather steampunk-ish face mask with changeable filter system
EWTu7hlWoAAoPCe

Due to leaks:
repiped my kitchen (including removing hot water heater and re-installing)
repiped the master bath sinks
rebuilt and painted the adjoining master bedroom wall

plus written a few chapters in the novel

and working full time + unpaid overtime

Nice stuff :)

Got a simple pattern for a "biker mask" that I need to make, after I'm done dying and assembling the chest harness I've cut the pieces for. Waiting on two different orders from Tandy now (almost 2 weeks now and not even shipped).

Attachments

• 95073554_229074055014557_2688775528751562752_n.jpg
    95073554_229074055014557_2688775528751562752_n.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 91

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases