Anyone has experience with Hyperborea?

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Being a big fan of Conan and Sword and Sorcery, I've been looking into possible products to eventually explore these genres. I've also been interested in exploring the OSR movement, which has been difficult because of the sheer number of options.

That's when I stumbled on Hyperborea by North Wind. They just released a third edition last year, but the books are pretty costly and reviews are a bit hard to come by. I don't think it's one of the most popular products out there.

So I was wondering if anyone here had experience with either Hyperborea 2E or 3E and if they could talk about it?

Thank you!

Yora

Legend
I only know the first edition, which really was AD&D 1st edition with some tidying up, and I heard the later editions changed quite some things.
But the quality was really good. The only time I actually understood the AD&D rules.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I only know the first edition, which really was AD&D 1st edition with some tidying up, and I heard the later editions changed quite some things.
But the quality was really good. The only time I actually understood the AD&D rules.
From the answers I'm getting elsewhere, there was not a ton of changes in between editions.

I'm really curious, the setting looks fun. But the books are really pricy...

Voadam

Legend
I've only skimmed the 1e corebook but it seemed 1e AD&D with Conan world classes and such. So no paladins but expect a pirate type class to be different from a northman type.

I've bought and skimmed a number of the modules and they feel appropriately AD&D pulp sword and sorcery stuff to me.

I have not played it as the rule set or run any of the modules so far.

In addition to having played a lot of D&D from the 1e era on I used to have subscriptions to Marvel Conan and Savage Sword of Conan comics as well as being a fan of Howard's original stories as well as Fritz Lieber and Elric stories so this kind of stuff is well within the Venn diagram of things I like.

aia_2

Custom title
...and, pls do not forget to mention the "high tech" touch with the presence of jorune-style weapons... (This is the only detail i avoided in the really short experience with that game!)

Remove ads