• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have Black Sails Over Freeport yet?

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
As others have said, this thing is huge! I haven't read all of it yet, but what I've read seems well done, and like it would make for a fun game, too. One of these days I'll run a whole Freeport based campaign.

Taelorn76

First Post
This may be a silly question but I know nothing of Freeport.

Can Freeport be droped into any campaign? And if so what would be the first book I should get?

Vocenoctum

First Post
Taelorn76 said:
This may be a silly question but I know nothing of Freeport.

Can Freeport be droped into any campaign? And if so what would be the first book I should get?

In general, yes.

This adventure however, really seems tied to more specific places than the previous ones, which is one of the reasons it doesn't work for me.

I like the orcs subplot, very nicely done, but the ORKS! style of speech was tedious and out of place for me.
The main plot is okay I guess, but too cheesy for me to waste a lot of time one.
There's also a subplot of an elven nation and a barbarian nation getting into a war, which doesn't work well for me.

The character interaction seems forced in a lot of places, and I don't much care for their system of XP awards, which seems very arbitrary and at many stages silly.

All in all, I don't think it was up to the quality of the previous Freeport modules. Definetly not worth all the trouble it too me to get it.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Oh, one other thing. Also unlike other Freeport material, this one really seemed to reference previous Freeport material (namely the main book and the Denizens book) quite frequently. While not required, it's kind of irritating to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads