• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have the April Dragon yet?

Glyfair

Explorer
TDRandall said:
Mine came today. I always read them cover to cover - at the moment I behind, working through February issues of both Dragon and Dungeon so the later ones just sit around until I can get to them.

However, for the original requester, here's a very brief skim through the Umbragen article:
- not too long, runs from pages 43 - 48
- less than a page of history
- just over a page of racial description and racial traits: no dragonmarks, society split into two parts, religion focused on the "umbra"
- a small sidebar labeled "a secret race" that boils down to "the normal world knows pretty much nothing about them, and vice versa"
- about a page of "Touched by Darkness" which mentions umbral warlocks (warlocks are umbragen's favored class) and shadow soulknife (soulknife with racial substitutions at 1st, 6th, and 9th levels)
- a page of racial feats: cloak of shadows, dark blood, dread shadow, indistinct, one with the darkness, shadow shift, strength of the shadows, sustaining darkness, voices of the void, wings of the wraith

That good enough?

Also, the stats section makes it clear they are variations on Drow. Indeed, it tells you to use Drow stats except for the changes listed.

Mad Mac

First Post
That'll do, yeah. I'll take a closer look at it when it hits newstands. (Because odds are, most of the feats/class changes, ect will be drawn from the video game) Thanks! :)

Edit: Actually, I'm a liar. Do any of those feats/substitution levels have to do with becoming ethereal/incorporeal?

Treating them basically the same as Drow isn't a suprise. The bit about Warlocks is interesting, and the soulknife especially so, considering I haven't noticed any. The Umbragen seem to use necromancy extensively, (no suprise, being elves, but they stick with the evil variety) Psionics are also used quite a bit, which is interesting, but their real selling point seems to be the shadow-thing. They're typically potrayed as being partially insubstantial, and supposedly able to pull-off more dramatic transformations in that direction.

Otherwise, they don't seem that interesting, just a paticularly rare and xenophobic drow sub-culture.

Last edited:

Hellcow

Adventurer
Mad Mac said:
Actually, I'm a liar. Do any of those feats/substitution levels have to do with becoming ethereal/incorporeal?
The feats are based off of the idea of the shadow shift, which is when the elf allows the essence of the umbra to flow through it. This increases its shadowy appearance, and may give the sense that it is incorporeal, but it is still entirely solid; umbragen can't pass through walls, after all.

The umbragen article is intended to catch the flavor of the race seen in Dragonshard, and some of the feats are directly influenced by the game, but it's not a perfect one to one match; their compatibility with D&D rules and with Eberron was the primary concern. I'll note that I did collaborate with Atari and Liquid to develop the backstory for Dragonshard, and the umbragen aren't just being tacked on because they wanted dark elves in the game; they've had a role in the history of the elves for some time. While there is only a page of history in the Dragon article - because there was only so much space that could be devoted to the subject - it will also be expanded upon in the Dungeon backdrop about the Ring of Storms. Among other things, this addresses the nature of the Umbra, which is not simply another name for the Plane of Shadows.

Mad Mac said:
Treating them basically the same as Drow isn't a suprise. The bit about Warlocks is interesting, and the soulknife especially so, considering I haven't noticed any.
The umbragen soulknife is able to shape shadows into the form of a bow as well as a blade (taking the place of the normal shape mind blade ability). The shadow strider units are supposed to be using these bows, among others. Beyond that, the article notes that soulknife and warlock levels are usually combined with other classes, giving you warriors with some degree of magical ability. The key to the warlock is that unlike the wizard and sorcerer, the warlock can use its magical abilities all day long - which is why your umbragen units don't have to get 8 hours of rest before using their spells again.

Mad Mac

First Post
Ah...this is getting interesting.

Among other things, this addresses the nature of the Umbra, which is not simply another name for the Plane of Shadows.

This struck me recently, actually, when I remembered that there is no "Umbra" in the Eberron cosmology. Umbra is the focus of their worship then, I assume? Another non-anthramorphic god, perhaps? Or another name for the Shadow...or even Khyber himself? Fun stuff. :cool:

The feats are based off of the idea of the shadow shift, which is when the elf allows the essence of the umbra to flow through it. This increases its shadowy appearance, and may give the sense that it is incorporeal, but it is still entirely solid; umbragen can't pass through walls, after all.

Fascinating. Apparent (but not real) incorporeal nature, instead being filled with shadow magic. Does this grant some of the defensive benefits of incorporealness, or is it more deceptive in nature? Illusions? Hmm...now I've really got to see those feats. :D

Beyond that, the article notes that soulknife and warlock levels are usually combined with other classes, giving you warriors with some degree of magical ability. The key to the warlock is that unlike the wizard and sorcerer, the warlock can use its magical abilities all day long - which is why your umbragen units don't have to get 8 hours of rest before using their spells again.

Somehow, I don't expect those Silver Flame Clerics will be napping for spellpower, either. :p

But seriously, are you saying that the Umbragen 'casters are by and large Warlocks with different powers? Because that's just...really, really, cool. :) (And I can see a couple of candidates for "semi-soulknife" now that I think about it) I don't suppose we get a really rocking soul-knife hero?

And just because it has to be said once in a while, you rule Keith. :) Thanks for the clarifications.

Glyfair

Explorer
Razz said:
Woah, this has to be bumped.

Dude, come on tell us some more. Especially the previews for Dragon #331 please!

I haven't gone through the Dragon thoroughly yet. A majority of the issue seems to be the Far Realm article (indeed, it runs from page 20 to page 40).

Next issue:

The Point of Pole Arms - appears to promise stats for the awl pike, lucern hammer & bec de corbin. Also promises to start arguments about which is which ;)

Alchemical Charms - Seems to be about protections (silver charm for use against werewolves, garlic draught against vampires)

New Uses for Old Equipment (by Mike Mearls) - "Turn your winter blanket into a deadly trap..."

Fast, Furious and Fantastical - new vehicles

Also, Ecology of the Green Hag, A Novel Approach: Spiderwick, plus the usual columns.

Glyfair

Explorer
Orius said:
A non-silly April issue of Dragon just isn't right.

Well, on theme is the Jester prestige class.

Also, the Class Acts section finally covers a class that hasn't gotten enough attention in Dragon - Commoners. The section is Flaws for commoners (example - Corpse- you are dead, but you get an extra feat!)

Remove ads