• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone keeping up with the battletech universe?

uv23

First Post
I found myself really curious today of whats going on in the btech universe. I used to be an avid player and read a bunch of the novels to keep up with what was going on, but that was a while ago. I think last time I left off, the clans had been defeated and one of them joined the inner sphere or something along those lines.

Has battletech died with the wiz kids takeover? I went to their website and found an interactive map that looked absolutely nothing like the inner sphere I knew and loved. Perfectories?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
MMMMM Battletech...

The reason why the WizKids game seems foreign is becaus they ran the time line foreward about 80 years. There have been lots of changes in that time. Thus the Mechwarrior game and Battletech are different games.

Classic Battletech is still going along and has been taken over by Fantasy Productions. Check out www.classicbattletech.com it is one of the best spots for Battletech stuff on the net.

Check out the novel line for the rest of the story of what is going on. 2 Civil Wars, 1 attack by a clan and tons of political goodness.

uv23

First Post
Two different companies doing two different timelines of the same setting?? Now thats just weird! No wonder I was confused... :eek:

To put it bluntly, Battletech is now whacked. And not in a good way.

There are 2 universes. The old classic universe, which the latest novel called 'Endgame' details. I'd read it if you really want to know the latest in the old, good universe.

Then you have Mechwarrior Dark Age, or whatever. I didn't do this research myself due to have to slog through tons of crap, but my buddy who's a Mechwarrior 4 computer game fanatic filled me in on the details. It goes something like this: after years of fighting, the Houses are a peace and throw their mechs away. During this time the Clans do not invade and stay in their own area of the Inner Sphere. Suddenly, somebody wants to fight, but since they have no Battle Mechs, they have to use logger and agriculture mechs, with chain saws and welding torches.

You decide for yourself how ridiculous that sounds.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I am a little like Gene Weigel when it comes to BattleTech.

Burn the apocrypha, I say! The only good Battletech was by FASA! This horrid cheaply produced Whizkids game has destroyed the game! Mage Knight Bonfires all 'round, I say!

:)

Seriously, I was greatly turned off by the new look and feel of Battletech after the Dark Age time line. I still run games set in the 3050 timeline, or thereabouts. I grew up with the 3025-3050 era 'mechs, and it is by far my favorite.

Remove ads