D&D General Anyone Know an Adventure that Features an Eclipse?

R_J_K75

Legend
Man, now I want to create an adventure where kobolds use an eclipse to pull a daytime heist when guards aren't expecting them. If they dilly dally too long, they'll have to deal with daylight sensitivity issues (legacy kobold PCs, obviously) when making their escape.
Sounds like a cool one-shot you could put together in about 30 minutes with a general outline. Suppose it all depends on the edition and level it is, but the adventure with that premise should write itself. Using the eclipse as a backdrop sounds better than making it the purpose of some macabre ritual sounds more interesting to me.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sounds like a cool one-shot you could put together in about 30 minutes with a general outline. Suppose it all depends on the edition and level it is, but the adventure with that premise should write itself. Using the eclipse as a backdrop sounds better than making it the purpose of some macabre ritual sounds more interesting to me.
Thanks. I was thinking of running more games at conventions this year. This might be a fun one for that, since it comes with a built-in timer, where the difficulty shoots up as the session time comes to a close.

aco175

Legend
1711489402932.png

Black Knight, the quasi remake of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court.

There is a 4e Living Forgotten Realms adventure that involves the PCs traveling to observe an eclipse and being caught up by aboleths. It’s not really about the eclipse, though.

SPEC3-3 Dance of the Sun and Moonby Dave BrainardHeroic TierDownload (ZIP)
The orbit of Toril's moon often brings it across the sun's path, but astrological predictions of an upcoming total eclipse have sparked great interest. Many followers of Amaunator and Selûne have gathered at the small city of Sapra in the land of Turmish, the best place from which to view the eclipse. The worshippers of the Moonmaiden see this as a time of celebration, with their Lady ascendant, while those who revere the Sunlord are less enthusiastic about the celestial conjunction. But it is the followers of a different entity, guided by maddening whispers, who prepare to enact a far different ritual when the earth darkens and the stars shine at midday. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Westgate and Turmish for characters of the Heroic Tier (levels 1-10).

Full disclosure: I wrote a sequel to this adventure, SPEC 4-1 Cerulean Dreams. It’s also not about an eclipse but is about what happens to the people kidnapped by the aboleths.

View attachment 354171
Black Knight, the quasi remake of Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court.
Isn't that because the original Mark Twain novel featured an eclipse?

I though the OP was only asking about D&D adventures anyway. If we are including other stuff, there was a Tintin story, Cigars of the Pharaoh I think; a couple of Doctor Who stories - The Masque of Mandragora would be easy to adapt to D&D "when Mandragora swallows the moon!"

It's common enough it's probably worth checking out TV Tropes. Yeah, two! ttps://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TotalEclipseOfThePlot Convenient Eclipse - TV Tropes

(NB, turns out I had the wrong Tintin story)

Oh yeah, Ladyhawke, How did I forget that!?

Remove ads