• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone looking for a dark 5E setting?

Hmmm. Not sure what you looked at but I thought they had a nice description of the setting. As to you second point

"The corebook will be at least 278 pages of full-color dark fantasy goodness (and possibly many more, depending on strech goal funding). And its core game expression will be one that runs on the 5th Edition rules of the world's most popular roleplaying game. Most of the content will focus on the setting and on system design that's particular to it, so the corebook does assume that one already has access to the rules set."

Well. I was wondering if and when this would hit ENWorld. :)

The Lost Citadel was originally created by myself, CA Suleiman, and Jaym Gates. It started with a fiction anthology, which was also Kickstarted. That anthology is available to backers of the new KS for the RPG, and will be available for sale as its own product later on. The game is a new Green Ronin line.

Yes, it's 5E, although the stretch goals include "hacks" for other systems, such as Pathfinder and Green Ronin's own AGE system.

And there's a lot about the setting, and the project as a whole, on that Kickstarter page. You just need to scroll. :)

Nikchick

Explorer
Ari's right, the primary game expression for Lost Citadel is 5E, though from the number of people asking for the AGE adaptation, I have high hopes that we'll meet some of the other "system hack" stretch goals along the way!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I backed this one, but I'm having some second thoughts. In many respects, I almost feel like the main strength of this setting is in its core idea: a last bastion of life in a world overrun with undead. No matter how big the city is, it seems to me that sustaining a prolonged campaign would be extremely difficult, and the idea might have been better executed by a single adventure. After all, even a Tokyo-sized city is a pretty small campaign world.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, and there is very little solid information about the city/project overall, but it's a concern.

If it is intended that a campaign largely or entirely take place within the city, I think there's a lot to be gained from advice and examples on handling an urban campaign - this kind of information has never really been part of the D&D oeuvre, and would be most welcome.

Without giving too much away (Nicole has provided a bit in the way of answers on the Kickstarter comments page already), can you tell us a bit more about what will actually be IN the book? What do characters actually DO in this setting?

Okay, so, I can't go into too much detail, in part because I'm not allowed, and in part because I'm not lead developer on the RPG. (I was one of the setting's three primary creators and wrote part of the author's bible, as well as the first story in the fiction anthology, but CA Suleiman's shepherding the RPG.)

I can tell you this, though:

1) There are plenty of threats, factions, politics, cultural clashes, criminal organizations, magical powers, ancient mysteries, and potential storylines in Redoubt, many of which have nothing at all to do with the Dead. And even for those that do, the Dead can pose a variety of challenges, not just the obvious ones. These aren't all your typical zombie-style undead.

2) There are fifteen stories in the fiction anthology, any one of which could serve as an example for an RPG adventure, and we had lots of other authors interested. Nobody's having any trouble thinking of things to do in Redoubt. :)

3) CA Suleiman and I co-wrote the Cityscape book for D&D 3E, and I wrote the Widdershins fantasy novel series, which mostly takes place in a single city. Designing fantasy stories in an urban environment is something with which we both have experience.

I'm trying to see if CA has anything more specific he can tell you yet about what might be in the game book, but even if he doesn't, I hope the above is at least some measure of what you were looking for in an answer.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Okay, so, I can't go into too much detail, in part because I'm not allowed, and in part because I'm not lead developer on the RPG. (I was one of the setting's three primary creators and wrote part of the author's bible, as well as the first story in the fiction anthology, but CA Suleiman's shepherding the RPG.)

I can tell you this, though:

1) There are plenty of threats, factions, politics, cultural clashes, criminal organizations, magical powers, ancient mysteries, and potential storylines in Redoubt, many of which have nothing at all to do with the Dead. And even for those that do, the Dead can pose a variety of challenges, not just the obvious ones. These aren't all your typical zombie-style undead.

2) There are fifteen stories in the fiction anthology, any one of which could serve as an example for an RPG adventure, and we had lots of other authors interested. Nobody's having any trouble thinking of things to do in Redoubt. :)

3) CA Suleiman and I co-wrote the Cityscape book for D&D 3E, and I wrote the Widdershins fantasy novel series, which mostly takes place in a single city. Designing fantasy stories in an urban environment is something with which we both have experience.

I'm trying to see if CA has anything more specific he can tell you yet about what might be in the game book, but even if he doesn't, I hope the above is at least some measure of what you were looking for in an answer.

I fully understand your not being able to provide much in the way of detail; I was trying to ask my question in a way that would allow you to address my concerns without giving too much away. I appreciate you answering, though it does seem to lead more toward the "book about adventures in a city, and oh yeah don't go outside" interpretation of the setting. which as I mentioned I totally welcome.

Anyway, Thank you for your response. I guess I'll have the rest of my questions answered the same as everyone else when the time comes.

Remove ads