D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?

Agamon

Adventurer
The only 3E supplement I've bought in the last 2 years is the MIC (which I've gotten a ton of use out of). I had a Dragon/Dungeon sub, and now PF/GM subs, and I've bought a lot of adventures otherwise as well, WotC and 3rd party, but crunch books, no.

So my enthusiasm for new 3E books waned long ago. WotC is getting a bit more cash out of me for the 4E core books, but I'll be staying away from the Handbook/Compendium crunch type books for 4E. I might look into the Core Rule II books when they come out, but we'll see.

As for 3E itself, I'm starting an M&M game soon and maybe a WFRP game after that. So the lack of enthusiasm is more for D&D, then any specific edition (my game changing plans happened months before the 4E announcement).

carmachu

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
I know I have...

Why buy the newest 3E book, knowing it will be outdated in 7 months? Why would WotC even bother making more 3E books at this point? I think they advertised 4E too soon.

I think they should have waited maybe 1 - 3 months before they were ready to release 4E before they announced it. Anyone agree/disagree with this?

We just started a new Ravenloft campaign (which I am excited about, don't get me wrong), but previous to this, when 4E was announced, suddenly playing 3E games lost some of its luster. Am I alone in this one?

Anyway, just curious what others think/feel.

Because their useful?

Rules compemdium is still useful for our game, and frankly I've been waiting for elder evils...

Mad Mac

First Post
Looks like I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here. I stopped buying new rulebooks for 3.5 a long time ago, so 4th edition is actually Wizards chance to start selling me books again. I'll probably be more restrained in buying for 4th edition though, just as I was more restrained with 3.5 than I was with 3.0.

That said, the first few supplements are probably the most useful for any edition change, as any company is going to stake out the important ground first. Late edition books are always more innovative, but the early add-ons have all the bread and butter stuff. That'll depend on what goes into the splatbooks vs the annual PHBs though...have to wait and see.

danbuter1

First Post
I have not bought a 3e product in almost 1.5 years. I bought so much stuff in 2000-2002 that I really didn't need a ton more stuff. Just FR-specific books. Though the Elder Evils book looks very tempting.

Remove ads