D&D 5E Anyone play-testing with PbP?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Isn't EN World set up to locate all recruiting threads in the "Talking the Talk" forum, and the actual play threads in the "Playing the Game" forum?

There are two 5E Next (or D&D next) campaigns in (tenuous) existence there already.
(The "[D&D Next] Misfits of the Sharn Watch OOC" thread is in apparent abeyance because slobster hasn't posted in a while: ever since Hurricane Sandy struck the east coast of the US, that thread has lacked DM input.)
(Also, DarwinofMind has a [DND NEXT] thread that is likewise in abeyance.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well in order to bring back the thread to track. (and to prevent it form becoming misplaced) I'm about to start on a playtest game on th Giant forums and still looking to start one on RPOL. Personally I've found pbp playtesting of Next a little cursed to early dead.

I've already taken part on two playtest games and both died before being able to do a single mechanical roll. What I think would help a lot is to focuss on the direct adventure, don't treat the playtest game as a normal campaign, no time to polish an elaborate background and write compelling prose. If you are going to playtest on pbp you should go straight, start in media res and go from there. There is little time to do it the normal way (the first time I joined a game, it took us almost the whole vigency of the first package just to sort things and organize a party. By the time the second package came out we all had made exactly one skill check each)

Think less like a novel and more like a tale, or better yet a narrated game. Try to make each post worth at least two or three actions instead of taking three posts per ability check. Even posting mechanics only is ok. Otherwise playtesting on pbp will take forever.

Remove ads