D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone remember DM Genie

Ternick

First Post
So I am running a 3.5 game after not DMing for a long time, using DM Genie as my campaign manager and need some help with the coding if anyone remembers how to. I'm not looking for fancy scripting, just missing alot of stuff from the complete books and some custom stuff and trying to do the Bulk add. If anyone can help or wants to try it would save me days of editing.

For anyone asking why 3.5, I have not ran a game in almost 10 years, I had this idea for starting at lvl 0 and being ran as an advanced player game I wanted a system I knew. Also while I enjoy the 5th edition game I am a player in, I feel 3.5 allows for more player control and customization then 5th.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

(Sorry, this isn't going to help you with your DM Geinie problem...this is more of a suggestion/info thing as you mentioned you haven't run a game in 10 years, so I'm not sure if you are aware of these other possible 'options').

DM Genie...hmm...sounds familiar. Wait, was that the CD thing that 'came with' 3e back in the day? Maybe? Never used it because I never DM'ing 3.5e more than a handful of times (didn't like it; 3e that is, sorry!).

If I was to run a 3.5e game for some reason, and wanted a "program to help", I'd probably look into something like World Anvil ( Worldbuilding and RPG Campaign Management | World Anvil ) or even Realm Works, maybe with Hero Lab Classic ( Home ). Both will cost you some money, and Realm Works is, for all intents and purposes, 'not worked on anymore', but they might be more accessible and/or helpful than DM Genie...maybe (I don't know how robust/extensible DMGenie is).

Anyway...food for thought. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Stormonu

Legend
Holee Smokes. I had to search this one up as I'd never heard of it - can't believe their website is still up. The official page has some links to groups (not sure if active...), who might be able to help further - DM Genie - Articles and Links.

BTW, the one that came with 3E was E-Tools. I liked it because it was an MS Access database, which I was pretty familiar programming with. It was a pretty rotten program, though. Used mostly RPGxplorer for making characters n' such for 3/3.5E.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Interesting! I've never heard of DM Genie, so I'm no help, but thank you for bringing something new to my attention!

pming

Legend
Hiya!
BTW, the one that came with 3E was E-Tools. I liked it because it was an MS Access database, which I was pretty familiar programming with. It was a pretty rotten program, though. Used mostly RPGxplorer for making characters n' such for 3/3.5E.
Ahhh... that' was the one I was thinking of! :) I think I still have my CD in my old CD-Folder in a box in my closet.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Ternick

First Post
The links to groups on their website are broke, and Yahoo groups got shut down a few years ago. I'll check out the ones you suggested pming, but I don't want to buy another program just for one campaign. If they work like I want for 5th and are not bad priced I may get one. It uses alot of VS scripting, and I haven't done any kind of major coding since high school (a lot longer then 10 years ago). Thanks for the help so far all

Remove ads