Anyone Running an Against the Darkness Game Right Now?

Pariah77

First Post
I bought the pdf of Against the Darkness a few weeks ago. I really like the simplicity of the system and the setting. I haven't had a chance to run it, but would really like to.

When (and if) I actually get a chance to run an AtD game, what I’d like to do is run it like a TV series, set up in seasons, episodes and with various actors as guest stars each episode. My idea is that the first season would be short, introducing the players to the setting and to a few key NPCs. The first season would be perhaps as many as six episodes. Then the second season would really get into the story, having them based in a larger metropolitan area, perhaps Los Angeles or Denver. I’m actually thinking about making up the city so that I can create the history (both mundane and supernatural).

Is anyone running an Against the Darkness game currently?

Has anyone else created other organizations that do the same thing as the Justicars? And what about the Illuminati?

Cassandra

First Post
We've run Against the Darkness many times at conventions, and it does seem to lend itself to episodic play. Your idea sounds like a great way to run a campaign. When we want characters to be sent on a mission by someone, we tend to base them in a city where an archbishop is located, figuring that would represent a high enough level of authority - and population area - to warrant having a group of Justiciars around. Boston, Denver, and Chicago are some I know we have used.

Oh, and we do have one adventure in which the Illuminati make a cameo appearance. It's easy to imagine a world in which the Illuminati and the Justiciars find themselves running into each other, possibly frequently.

By the way, if you're on Facebook, we invite you to drop by the Tabletop Adventures page and open this discussion there also.

Pariah77

First Post
When we want characters to be sent on a mission by someone, we tend to base them in a city where an archbishop is located, figuring that would represent a high enough level of authority - and population area - to warrant having a group of Justiciars around.

My idea was to have the characters working in the field, visiting the office in-between episodes/sessions. But once we got into the story, the characters would be assigned to a city.

The reason that I wanted the PCs to be out in the field during the first season was to have them experience the setting by having them travel the world. I wanted to send them to Asia, Central America and Europe. I still planned on sending the PCs to other part of the world during later seasons, but as part of something tied to the current story arc.

Oh, and we do have one adventure in which the Illuminati make a cameo appearance. It's easy to imagine a world in which the Illuminati and the Justiciars find themselves running into each other, possibly frequently.

Since the Illuminati were only mentioned in one of the stories in the core book, that makes them a blank slate for me to do whatever I want with them.

In addition to other secret organizations, I was also going to have them deal with government agents who are also investigating the supernatural. Not sure which branch of the government those agents would belong to, or what they'd be doing with anything they find.

By the way, if you're on Facebook, we invite you to drop by the Tabletop Adventures page and open this discussion there also.

No, I don't do Facebook. I've thought about creating a Facebook account, but haven't really been motivated to do it. I've got way too many friends and family members who live just to update their Facebook pages and I think that's what's discouraged me.

Remove ads