AOO and spells

MensurB

First Post
Can someone explain to me how AOO works when I cast a spell. Let's say I am base to base with a monster, I move 5ft back and cast magic missile. What do the rules say about that, is it an AOO? My DM says it is, and I will have to stick with it, but I just wanted to know what the "official" rules are.

IceBear

Explorer
Unless the monster has reach you can cast MM without an AoO.

Basically, you don't suffer an AoO for movement because you took a 5ft adjustment, and if you're no longer in the monster's threat range then you don't suffer an AoO for casting the spell.

IceBear

Last edited:

Zenon

First Post
If you are no longer in the creatures threatened area (meaning it doesn't have a 10' reach), and the only phyical move you did that round was a 5' step (or combat adjustment as it should be called), then you do not provoke an AoO for the casting.

IceBear

Explorer
He probably just didn't like the "cheap" way for the spellcasters to avoid the AoO. I know I didn't at first and neither did my players when I pulled it on them. But, with time I came to appreciate it and the ways around it (but that's another long and ugly debate).

IceBear

MensurB

First Post
My DM does not want to come to the boards, he asks that I show him in the players hand book or the dmg that when stepping 5ft back and casting a spell that it does not provoke an attack of opprtunity. Can someone give me a quote and a page where it says that?

Henrix

Explorer
p. 122 "if your entire move for the round is 5 feet (a 5-foot step), enemies do not get attacks of opportunity for your moving." And when you cast your spell you're out of his reach, and thus no longer threatened.

You could direct your DM to the official FAQ over at Wizards site.

The FAQ says (on p.33):
If you choose the first option (a 5-foot step as your sole movement), then what you do afterward has no effect on what happens when you leave the threatened space. For example, you take a 5-foot step back and cast a spell. If the 5-foot step puts you in a space your opponent does not threaten, then you will not trigger an attack of opportunity from that opponent when you cast the spell. Think of this tactic as waiting for an opportune moment to leap back out of harm's way before casting the spell.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
MensurB said:
My DM does not want to come to the boards...

dubious-yellow.gif
I'm suddenly very, very happy with the gaming group I have.

Remove ads