• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Applying Metamagic Feats to Summoning spells

Palskane

First Post
I have a player that wishes to play a summoner. I have no problems with this of course, but I am unsure of how to apply metamagic feats to summoning spells.

For example, if he Empowers a summoning spell, then he'll get +50% more creatures to show up. Does that metamagic also affect things like the creature's HP's and the damage they deal as well?

Same with Maximize. Would they have maximum HP's and deal maximum damage?

He has already taken Augment Summoning, but looking at how he wants these other feats to apply it seems like it could get out of hand really quickly.

Thanks!

frankthedm

First Post
For example, if he Empowers a summoning spell, then he'll get +50% more creatures to show up. Does that metamagic also affect things like the creature's HP's and the damage they deal as well?
Creatures Statistics are not rolled when they are summoned so Empower and Maximize will not help those. Damage Dealt by the creatures are a factor of their size and STR, not the spell.

If you give it any weight, here is the FAQ Entry;
Do metamagic effects apply to creatures summoned by summoning spell? For example, does a monster summoned by a maximized summon monster spell have maximum hit points?

No. The metamagic effect applies only to the specific rules of the spell itself -- the spell’s range, its casting time, the variable number of creatures summoned, and so forth -- not to the monsters it brings.

For example, an extended summon monster I would double the duration that the monsters remain, but wouldn’t have any effect on the durations of the monsters’ special powers.

Remove ads